5-HTP is fantastic!

Options
jessapoe
jessapoe Posts: 13 Member
Hi,
I wanted to tell you all about this new supplement that I have been taking for the past week. It has made a dramatic improvement in my life and overall perspective of this diet thing. It's called 5-HTP and is available at many grocery stores, and natural foods stores. It is a bean extract that acts as a "precursor to serotonin". For those of you that don't know, serotonin is the chemical that is released from your brain that makes you happy. It is kind of like a natural Xanax that is non-addictive and no prescription necessary.
Try it if you like, it's my new thing that helps me get through those "down days". Good luck!:wink::wink:

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Hey, cool!

My friend told me about 5-HTP and I immediately ran to the drug store to get it. It worked really well but I paid $20 for a bottle of 30 tablets, and was SOO thrilled to see a bottle at Costco of 150 for $17.

I first took it three times a day (100mgs 3x) and am now down to one at nighttime.

Very good stuff!! Can't say it curbs my appetite, but it surely lifts my spirits.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise does the same thing for me.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've been taking 5-HTP for a month now for sleep problems.

As well as helpimg with this it is supposed to lift your mood and make you want to eat less but sadly I've found neither of these to be true.

Its great for the sleep though :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to tell your doctor if you are taking it, as it interacts with many medications. (Actually, this is true for all supplements and vitamins.)

And if you are already on any kind of antidepressant, don't take it without telling your doctor because you can accidentally produce 'serotonin syndrome'. http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-126536/Serotonin-syndrome?q=serotonin+syndrome
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I have been taking this on and off for a year. Someone recommended it to me for post traumatic stress, it worked but then stopped so I stopped taking it. Then I started again around Christmas, but it didn't really do anything until I doubled up my dose to 200mg a day, and it is great. It stops me comfort eating, helps me sleep, and helps me not get panic attacks.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in here and say it's great! I've been taking it on and off for over 9 years and for me it works great for sleep, anxiety, reducing overeating and mood. It's a bit expensive but worth it. I usually wait until it's on offer to buy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements out there don't do as well as advertised. And they can actually exaggerate about it without any penalty because they ARE NOT regulated by the FDA. Hence the warning labels. Only thing the DSHEA has to make sure of is that the product isn't harmful. Also, I'd be very wary of cheaper supplements because if they are cheaper, then the manufacturer that made them MAY NOT be using pure raw materials and they could be contaminated. Look for supplements with USP cerifitcation. At least then you know it's tested. Supplements DO NOT have to go through testing to back up their claims.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/#:~:text=A review of peer-reviewed,effect of 5-HTP.”

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    This is a thread from 2011--very old.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Maybe so. But does it really work? It sounds too much like a miracle product that could help so many issues and I've yet to find one of those. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Lol I didn't even look. This was made when I first started. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png