How to move more with chronic pain?

I have chronic low back pain. When it's really bad, I can't really walk. I tried doing light workouts like walking around the block with dogs and even then my back gave me problems for next few days. If I do anything more intense, I'm laid out longer. It sucks because I know moving is a key to weight loss ( and maybe even the pain getting better).

Any tips on how I can move more without increasing my pain?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Could your doctor send you to a physical therapist?
  • pcn2020
    pcn2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Check out Body Groove....lots of ways to modify. It's FUN and addictive 😊 you can buy dvds. I have roku so I use it through that. Good luck.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You lose weight by sticking to your calorie goals. Did you set your stats in MFP, weigh and log all your food?
    What has your doctor suggested re the back pain? I agree with suggestions to see a PT. If that doesn’t help, there are injections and nerve ablation available to assist with chronic back pain.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I definitely concur with others in seeking out a physical therapist, and possibly even a rehab doctor. Find one who will give you exercises to do at home as well. I have had chronic low back pain for years--having gone to a couple of PT's, chiropractor and even rehab doctor, who gave me steroid injections. The last PT I went to really did the trick, as he used a technique and exercises that I hadn't ever really been introduced to before with previous PT's or chiropractors (which, I might add, helped temporarily, but the pain always came back). He used the McKenzie method, and I still do some of those exercises at home on a regular basis.

For me, I have significant disc degeneration in my lumbar spine, so it will probably flare up from time to time. However, it is better than it has been in a long time and has stayed that way for a year. Also, although I do total body strength training and train heavy at least some of the time, I have been focusing on my glutes. That has also helped with my low back, as often weak glutes/hamstrings=low back problems).

Another thing that I have to do is focus on my posture when I'm sitting, and sitting on couches is awful for people with low back problems. When I'm thinking about it, I make sure my core is engaged and my back is in a neutral position (neither rounded nor overextended). If my back is flaring up, I may ice it and foam roll the muscles that are tight as well (which may not even be the back, but may be glutes or hamstrings that are tight).

Good luck; hope you find some relief! I know how frustrating it is to try and exercise and be active, but the low back gets mad at you!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It depends on what is causing the pain. I had chronic back pain due to a muscular imbalance and muscle spasms. Losing weight and strength training really helped.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Recumbent bike. When my back is really bothering me it’s the only thing that’s pain-free. My doctor recommended it to me years ago. Foam roller. Physiotherapy and regular massage.

An old injury has left me with arthritis, bursitis, nerve root damage, round ligament damage, ITB issues, and sciatic nerve damage. So I’m always in some degree of discomfort or pain.

In the long term, strength training. My physiotherapist told me I was extremely flexible from yoga but my lack of strength didn’t help. She said she sees that a lot with yogis. We think we can stretch away the pain but we can’t. We need strength. Gaining muscle and strength has helped support my glutes, hamstrings and core and I get fewer pain flare-ups and recover from them faster. I do Sydney Cummings workout every day, spin 2-3x a week, walk a few x a week, yoga 2-3x a week. This has all helped tremendously.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Get an assessment for what might be causing your pain. Could it be tight hamstrings? Weak core? Bad posture? There are many variables and many times correcting them will reduce or rid you of back pain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png