Weight loss during menopause

System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Nominate Posts for Announcement Status - Stickies.

Replies

• tafolkers
    tafolkers Posts: 1 Member
    How does weight loss work during menopsuse?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    tafolkers wrote: »
    How does weight loss work during menopsuse?

Same way it works in not-menopause, basically: Eat fewer calories than we burn.

The potential complication is that we may burn fewer than we once did: Loss of muscle mass (through non-use) contributes to that. The habit of reduced movement contributes to that (we're no longer building our nest, mostly: we're enjoying what we've built). For some of us, years of yo-yo dieting contribute to that (cumulative adaptive thermogenesis). For some of us, sub-ideal nutrition contributes to that. Many of us grew up in times and places where exercise, strength, sports, were not encouraged for everyday women.

Among women my age (now 65), I've often seen a pattern of too little protein, and/or too little healthy fat, maybe even too few veggies/fruits on top of that. Heck, I've lived that pattern, sometimes! Among my circle of acquaintences, the yo-yo pattern is often extreme dieting on low-protein/low-fat (lotta salads), with manic levels of cardio (no strength exercise). That's often been followed by regain on still-low protein, higher sat fats, plenty of foods that combine higher processed carbs with higher saturated fats, inadequate veggies/fruits.

Happily, we have near-total control over the things that matter: Gaining back some muscle mass (slow, but doable with persistence), and moving more. "Moving" is not just formal exercise, but our daily life habits as well.

Another thing that makes menopause different is that we're older, we've practiced patient persistence elsewhere in our lives (raising families, making a home, getting an education, building a career, etc.), and we know our own strengths/limitations quite well (plus how to exploit the strengths and skirt the limitations, to get important things done).

We have the skills, we have the control. Just gotta wanna. 🙂