First time in the gym...

Options
I think the title says it all...I decided better to sign up in December than January...my husband is doing his best to encourage me...I want to hit him in the face with a weight...

Replies

• shhhilo
    shhhilo Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hi there congrats on signing up start off easy dont try to over do things you cant it takes time little by little at first big thumbs up to your husband for encouraging you its always good to have support
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well done for joining a gym! That’s a big hurdle down if you’re someone who doesn’t feel naturally at home in fitnes environments. I hope you found someplace that feel welcoming :)

Please don’t hesitate to ask an employee to show you the equipment if there is anything you are uncertain about. Depending on the venue they may also set you up with a beginners routine as a new sign up.

Tell your husband how to best encourage you. Personally getting the offer to carpool and then doing our own thing and catching up afterwards is my favourite way of working out with people. What can I say, I’m the queen of parallel play.

Best of luck to you!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The gym can be a welcoming place or a return to HS cliques.

It's all in your mind. Most people are into themselves at the gym and may not notice you. Others will say hello to everyone. I've had both experiences at the same gym.

Go and explore the gym. Not sure how something works? Ask someone. Hopefully they have a new member orientation. If not, use youtube before you jump into it.

Have fun!!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    What would you find helpful and encouraging as you continue using your membership?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Overcoming certain fears makes you stronger. Trust that NO ONE is staring you down in the gym. They are too concerned about THEMSELVES than others. In fact many gym members have much more respect for people who come in out of shape and continue to try.
    And get a trainer. Nothing worse than going to a gym and NOT KNOWING what to do or how to train. Get someone that knows how to, to help you out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,101 Member
    Options
    McGreavy91 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!! I am joking about my husband...he is wonderful and so encouraging. I just did my best. This month I am just focusing on turning up. Everyday I go to the gym is a victory!!

My PT put me in the middle of a free weight section with a lot of muscly people. I was there with my 10kg weight feeling ridiculous and embarrassed. And then I noticed.. No one gave a *kitten*. Not in a bad way, but people are there to focus on their own workouts and such.
    Everyone has to start from the bottom and work there way up to their fitness level. So if youre dying after 5 mins on the treadmill and the person next to you has been running for 30 mins. Don't feel discouraged. You never know, they could have been you one day!

Just do you :)
  • The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!! I am joking about my husband...he is wonderful and so encouraging. I just did my best. This month I am just focusing on turning up. Everyday I go to the gym is a victory!!

My PT put me in the middle of a free weight section with a lot of muscly people. I was there with my 10kg weight feeling ridiculous and embarrassed. And then I noticed.. No one gave a *kitten*. Not in a bad way, but people are there to focus on their own workouts and such.
    Everyone has to start from the bottom and work there way up to their fitness level. So if youre dying after 5 mins on the treadmill and the person next to you has been running for 30 mins. Don't feel discouraged. You never know, they could have been you one day!

I agree with @Bex953172 , no one walks into the gym for the 1st time fit and strong. It takes time and EVERYONE has to start and work on it. Don't EVER give up on yourself!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options

My trainer once said to me "people who work out by themselves aren't super vein, well maybe, but they are all watching themselves in the mirror to check they have correct form, and don't injure themselves." True that. When I am there by myself I'm busy counting my reps :)
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,101 Member
    Options

My trainer once said to me "people who work out by themselves aren't super vein, well maybe, but they are all watching themselves in the mirror to check they have correct form, and don't injure themselves." True that. When I am there by myself I'm busy counting my reps :)

Yeah definitely, I always had to stand infront if a mirror so he could show me what I was actually meant to be doing, if I wanted to continue on non-PT days (which I never did because he always reduced me to jelly, which took about 3 days to recover from haha 😂)
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,642 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is generally to know what you are going to do before you go. If you're going to do weights? What do you want to work. Have a plan.

If you're going to do cardio, how long? What kind?

If you're going to a class, which one.

When you commit to the task, it's easier to follow through and not feel lost.

But also have a backup plan in mind in case what you want to do is busy, occupied, broken.