New and seeking advice!

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Steve. I’m trying to lose 30lbs and reach my goal. I seem to do great all day, eating right and exercising, then crash at dinner time. Would love a group or challenge to join to give me extra motivation. I know I can do it, if you need an accountability partner...let me know!

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Night time eating/snacking is a challenge for me as well!! I'm as a general rule not usually hungry during the day so I make up for it at night. Going to the gym later in the day seems to help me because working out decreases my appetite. Or else I just don't want to wreck the good I did there. Either way, it helps
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When someone says they do fine all day and then break, the first thing that occurs to me is that goals may not be realistic.

I can do "great" and eat 500 calories all day, but then I'm starving by dinner and eat way more than I meant to. In these circumstances, it's best to choose a more realistic calorie goal and eat more during the day so you don't set yourself up for failure in the evening.

If you are eating enough during the day, then it's most helpful to figure out why what is working during the day isn't working at night. For some people, it's being presented with too many tempting foods in the evening, having routines that include excessive snacking, or being bored. Spending some time to figure out what "breaking" looks like for you and what is happening right before that may be useful.

For me, I found that I do much better when I put any leftovers away before I eat. Harder to justify going into the fridge and putting more food on my plate. I also have a general policy that dinner is the end of eating for me. I eat later in the day and I just don't eat more. If I just want something while I'm watching tv, I'll have some herbal tea. If I'm feeling true hunger pangs, I'll eat some plain carrots. But no snacking on anything super-appealing -- it's just too easy for me to eat even when I'm not truly hungry.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I like more calories in the evenings, so I skip breakfast. I’m never hungry in the mornings anyway. I have black coffee in the morning, a snack around 10:00 (like a protein bar), lunch between 12-1, usually another small high-protein snack around 3:00, and then I usually have 1000-1200 calories left for dinner and dessert.

I plan for 200-300 calories in dessert every night. Usually chocolate or ice cream. I’ve found that I freak out and binge if I try to cut them completely out of my diet.
  • Steve30lbsToGo
    Steve30lbsToGo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. It’s all true and useful and I will definitely incorporate in my weight loss plan. Greatly appreciated.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Best of luck Steve!! Always reach out if you need a kick in the rear!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options
    I like more calories in the evenings, so I skip breakfast. I’m never hungry in the mornings anyway. I have black coffee in the morning, a snack around 10:00 (like a protein bar), lunch between 12-1, usually another small high-protein snack around 3:00, and then I usually have 1000-1200 calories left for dinner and dessert.

I plan for 200-300 calories in dessert every night. Usually chocolate or ice cream. I’ve found that I freak out and binge if I try to cut them completely out of my diet.

This is very much what I do as well. I almost always try to leave 1000k for dinner and beyond and don't tend to eat breakfast until almost 11am. I'm always more hungry in the evening, so I try to save my calories for then.