Run The Year Challenge

Has anyone here worked towards Run the Edge’s (or similar) Run the Year Challenge? Basically you aim to run or walk the number of miles in the year, so 2021 miles for 2021.

I’m curious if anyone completed it, and how hard it will be to find the time to cover 39 miles a week.

I am a stop start 5k runner thinking this challenge might inspire me to be more consistent, and not stop in 2021! Love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It would be over 5 miles/day. You need to build up slowly to that much volume. How much are you running now?
  • DancingMoosie
    edited December 2020
    Double post
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Thanks @DancingMoosie I recognize that it’s more than 5k a day, You can count your steps though so it doesn’t have to be running, and I wouldn’t plan to run it all. To be honest I think it’s unlikely I could achieve the 2021 miles, it’s more the idea of reaching for something ambitious (and achieving something that may be significantly less) that appeals to me. I’m curious to learn about other people’s experiences, and whether the size of challenge was inspiring or if it was so unobtainable it was discouraging.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I did it 2 years ago and did find it motivating to get out and move. I didn't run all the miles, I also counted purposeful walks (not all my steps or the routine quick morning dog walk, but any time I intentionally walked for exercise).

It is doable so if you think it will inspire you, I say give it a try!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    My goal this year was to run 2020km, which is 1255.1 miles, or 104 miles a month.

I'm at 1180.9 so I won't hit my goal, but for a year of no races and running only for the sake of running I'm pretty impressed with my mileage anyway.

If I include walking and cycling I'm at nearly 2000 miles, so it's definitely doable but I think it'll depend on your usual mileage? I found that having to do a certain number of miles per week or month makes it harder for me to take time off when I needed it, so make sure your goal includes adequate rest.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I was intending to do it this year, but mid-summer I cut back on my running due to hamstring/glute pain and the fact that when I'm camping with DH the miles can be hard to do. I was also counting on the miles I run marathon training to push my total up early in the year, making it easier to finish ahead, but the race I was training for cancelled in February and I dropped my mileage almost immediately from 45-50 mpw down to 30-35. I should finish the year with about 1970 miles, plus another 1000 walking miles, which I wasn't counting in my run the year total. I'll make the same attempt next year. Two of the last 4 years were 2000 miles or more and the other two were over 1800.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    Thank you for your comments. I think, though I almost certainly won’t achieve the ultimate goal, having a big goal to focus on will help me to get up and get moving every day so I’m going to give it a try. 😀
  • DancingMoosie
    You can always set a more attainable goal...
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    I think I could realistically do 1000 in one year.
  • Erica_1776
    Erica_1776 Posts: 4 Member
    I was looking at run the edge. I feel the same. I could hit 1000-1400 but I don’t know that I can pull off 2021 all in my own. I want to have a big push goal to keep me running, but I am incorporating other pieces to fitness this year. I’d be on board with joining a team to complete it. Anyone interested?
  • ems0305
    ems0305 Posts: 12 Member
    I am doing the Run the Edge run across America Challenge with a team. It is fun and super motivating. We started in May and close to completing it. I would love to join you in the 2021 challenge!
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    @Erica_1776 and @ems0305 sorry for the delay, I only just saw your notes. If you’re still interested I’d love to make up a team with you both! I joined the 2021 Challenge. I’ll be walking and running and getting as far as I can (but probably no where near 2921 miles on my own 😀)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    How do I join this challenge?
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    How do I join this challenge?

Google Run the Edge, it’s the 2021 Challenge.
  • k_diddly
    k_diddly Posts: 11 Member
    Hi there...I just registered for the challenge. Anyone to team up?