The importance of a "BMI Scale"

Options
A Body Mass Index or BMI measurement

Is a measurement of Fat, Muscle, Water and Bone. A BMI scale sends electrical impulses thru your feet (can't feel it). It is not an exact science but fairly close. Amazon.com or eBay have great deals. I picked mine up on eBay for $21. But, it was back at the bottom of the recession. Probably a bit more now. You will get what you pay for.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Except thru surgery. It can only be transformed from one form to another. You don’t gain weight spontaneously, it takes excess energy or calories past your daily burn rate.

Most people just have a weight scale. It just measures your weight. What most people don't realize is that their weight consists of 4 measurements.

1. Fat
2. Muscle
3. Bone
4. Water

Your whole body runs on energy. When you loose weight from eating fewer calories that your body needs to maintain your weight, it forces your body to use stored energy from either "Fat" or "Muscle". Neither is in the “safe zone” when loosing weight.

All of a sudden they find themselves in a plateau. What is happening most likely, is that their body is retaining/loosing water, growing/loosing muscle and increasing/decreasing their bone density. Your body is trying to keep up with the physical demands you are putting it thru.

I have found myself in this plateau. Then I looked at my BMI measurements. I find that my fat is still decreasing, slightly. But, my bone, water and muscle have increased. This puts a whole new perspective on my weight loss. It's not just “fat” you’re loosing, but body structure that is fluctuating also.

Look at your diet plan. Do you run, lift weights, hike or do nothing. This will all have an impact on what grows or dissipates from your body. I run and lift free weights. I put my body thru a pounding. Not in a bad way. My result is fat loss, muscle gain and bone density. I get a most of my bone density because of the running. I get a small muscle gain because of my free weights. If I did not do free weights, my muscle would probably be at a negative. (Remember…your body is forced to use stored energy, fat and/or muscle when at a calorie deficit). If I was at a maintenance level I would of gained more muscle, because of the calorie equality.

So when looking at your specific goals, be aware that you’re whole body is going thru a change. Not just fat. This is why I prefer a BMI scale.

Invest in your future. Invest in yourself.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    a scale that uses BIA to measure bodyfat is highly unreliable for accurate readings. if you really wanted accurate readings DEXA scan or BodPod testing produces much more accurate results
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I just did the bodpod, odd machine that. The fun part is I get to go in every 30 days to see how I have progressed. I am excited to see this next time because i have upped my time in the weight room.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Do body fat scales not give you an indication though? every measuring tool has a range of 'error' that is acceptable but surely it's better to have an 'idea' of your body fat reading if you can't access something like a bodypod?
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing BMI with body fat percentage. Scales don't measure BMI. The BMI is a calculation based only on height and weight. The bioimpedence scales are supposed to measure body fat% which is different. I have one but it varies so much depending on time of day and hydration status that to me it is not helpful because it is so inconsistent.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    a scale that uses BIA to measure bodyfat is highly unreliable for accurate readings. if you really wanted accurate readings DEXA scan or BodPod testing produces much more accurate results
    I agree 100%. An inherant problem occures. Cost, Money, Duckets and let us not forget Cash. Your ripped. You are looking for an exact costly science to get ripped and be healthy. Most people just want to judge their journey. Please consider more angles and write them down also. Congrats on your ripptitude. My journey is near.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Do body fat scales not give you an indication though? every measuring tool has a range of 'error' that is acceptable but surely it's better to have an 'idea' of your body fat reading if you can't access something like a bodypod?

there are simply too many variables (hydration, temperature etc) to a BIA test that gives such a wide range of readings, a better way would be to get a set of calipers and always measure yourself the same way, while the accuracy is also dependent on the skill of the tester, you will know if certain skinfolds are decreasing ie fat loss
  • adross3
    Options
    How much does the bodypod cost. I check my BMI every week. If I did the bodypod every week, what would it cost me. Ya know, you spend time writing a good article about a scale and the police come out. But, they do not look at all angles. Notice every polieman is in great shape. A lot of people aren't there yet and don't want to pay the cashola.
  • adross3
    Options

there are simply too many variables (hydration, temperature etc) to a BIA test that gives such a wide range of readings, a better way would be to get a set of calipers and always measure yourself the same way, while the accuracy is also dependent on the skill of the tester, you will know if certain skinfolds are decreasing ie fat loss
    all right policeman. How about writing an article on your bodypod. That is what would be informative. Don't forget to add the cost for a weekly check. The reason for this article was because somebody emailed me and asked what this type of measurment was. I think that most people don't know the exact science. That is why they are here. Hell, I've learned leaps and bounds and the results were amazing.

Now when you do, make sure you detail every last aspect. Each test results of the bodypod can be used to assimulate a plan of eating and exercise to get peak performance. Sounds like a great article. Very detailed. Sounds like a next level for people who have achieved a greater understanding of body performance.

$40 X 4 = $160 a month. ........ 1 bmi scale $40. This was my point. Then every 3 months go get a more expensive test. Then compare the two. I would love to know. Any knowledge on this. 1 comment does not make a mean.
  • Acg67
    Options
    How much does the bodypod cost. I check my BMI every week. If I did the bodypod every week, what would it cost me. Ya know, you spend time writing a good article about a scale and the police come out. But, they do not look at all angles. Notice every polieman is in great shape. A lot of people aren't there yet and don't want to pay the cashola.

BodPod costs vary on location but usually $40ish is the avg. the problem with recommending such a scale, is that people get discouraged when the scale doesn't move or they gain some water weight, depending on a number of factors a scale using BIA could tell a person their bf% increased really discouraging them among other things.

my comment was only to make people aware that the accuracy of them is not very good
  • aebuchan
    aebuchan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BMI is a hoax, according to the BMI and my last body fat test, I would have to get down to 0% (zero!) percent body fat AND take off 5 lbs of lean mass to be at the top end of my healthy BMI range.
    In short I would have to be dead to make BMI.
    NPR did an interesting story on it in 2009
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

Best options if you can't get to a dunk tank/don't have the cash to pay. Find a place that will do a skin fold test.
  • adross3
    Options
    BMI is a hoax, according to the BMI and my last body fat test, I would have to get down to 0% (zero!) percent body fat AND take off 5 lbs of lean mass to be at the top end of my healthy BMI range.
    In short I would have to be dead to make BMI.
    NPR did an interesting story on it in 2009
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

Best options if you can't get to a dunk tank/don't have the cash to pay. Find a place that will do a skin fold test.
    My BMI scale has been perfect. It has progressively scaled each time. It has given me an understanding of the structure of my body. Like I said, it is not an exact science. My scale has never given me a bad reading. Maybe somebody knocked down your height. Put in the wrong height and you become fatter.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Thanks - I know mine will still be high but I ride 4-5 times a week so have muscles just still losing, I wanted to start 'watching' my muscle mass to be sure I keep it or add more. :) I'm hitting the uni gym while I can't ride so hoping to build on that, I'll see if there is a caliper test there, or go on a 'poor accuracy' till I'm nearer goal.
  • adross3
    Options
    I think you are confusing BMI with body fat percentage. Scales don't measure BMI. The BMI is a calculation based only on height and weight. The bioimpedence scales are supposed to measure body fat% which is different. I have one but it varies so much depending on time of day and hydration status that to me it is not helpful because it is so inconsistent.
    Yes it does measure differently thru out the day. You should always measure yourself in the morning. Your weight will depend upon the process of consumption vs. burning. If your body has finished with it conversion process then this is its true weight. Otherwise you are measuring what your ate. That's how you finish your statement.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Use what you have for sure! I would think the scale has to be more accurate than just guessing for sure, and I am the cheapest person ever so I can totally understand not wanting to pay 40 a week! Eek I only go because it is offered here on post to military families.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I have one, and while it isn't perfectly accurate, I agree with you that it's a useful tool to get an idea of general trends as long as you always weigh yourself under similar conditions.
  • adross3
    Options
    Use what you have for sure! I would think the scale has to be more accurate than just guessing for sure, and I am the cheapest person ever so I can totally understand not wanting to pay 40 a week! Eek I only go because it is offered here on post to military families.
    Thank you. Great comment.
  • adross3
    Options
    Did you notice that not one person commented on the process that your body goes thru in a diet. If you understand this, then you are in or starting a better journey to fitness and weightloss. There are levels of understanding past this one.

Invest in your future. Invest in yourself.
  • adross3
    Options

Thanks - I know mine will still be high but I ride 4-5 times a week so have muscles just still losing, I wanted to start 'watching' my muscle mass to be sure I keep it or add more. :) I'm hitting the uni gym while I can't ride so hoping to build on that, I'll see if there is a caliper test there, or go on a 'poor accuracy' till I'm nearer goal.
    Great comment of trying to maintain muscle during a diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that measures body fat. It says my body fat percentage is 34%. Every other test I have done, between my gym, my doctor, and even online calculators all put my body fat at about 22%. I'd call that way beyond a reasonable range of error.

Also, these scales have a terrible time trying to differentiate between water and fat. Your hydration level has a huge impact on the reading on these scales

And finally, Body Mass Index has absolutely nothing to do with body fat. Its just a ratio between height and weight, it doesn't take body composition into account at all, and has even been stated by the creator as being absolutely useless to an individual, it's only useful for the purpose it was designed, which is large population studies.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of iffy on the whole BMI Scale. You can be a 250lb 6' tall athlete with less than 10% bodyfat and be obese on a standard BMI scale. Heck the last time I was in the doctor's office it said I was obese. I have some weight to lose but I'm surely not obese. Sure even somebody that is very heavy for their height with low bodyfat can be too heavy and stress their heart but I think BMI is far too loosely used to measure a person's healthy weight.