Ice Cream

Options
jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
I'm sure everyone knows you can use frozen bananas to make an ice cream treat. But, I wanted to share a pick of the "ice cream" I made last night. It doesn't look as appealing as it tastes because I add chocolate protein powder and it gives is that odd color.

But, this is right out of my VitaMix blender: didn't freeze it or use an ice cream maker:
[/img]6123805439_37a4a56f2a.jpg
ice cream by jamie1888, on Flickr[/img]

I used:
1C frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
3oz unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop chocolate protein

Put all in blender and churn on slow speed for just a minute or so.

It comes out like soft serve ice cream! You can put in the freezer to firm it up even more. This yielded a HUGE bowl of ice cream that probably should be split into 2 servings. But, I'm a pig and eat the entire thing! :bigsmile:

You don't have to add protein and you don't have to make such a big batch. The key is not adding too much liquid or blending it too much.

I topped mine with Cool Whip Free, Lite Hershey syrup and sliced almonds. The entire massive dessert was under 350 calories. (this would be a lot less if you don't add so much protein or make such a big bowl!)

And I've also done it with just the frozen banana, ice cubes, almond milk and a little vanilla extract in the Magic Bullet. The Bullet works well too. But, with big frozen strawberries, it's easier for my big blender than the little Bullet.

Enjoy! :drinker:

Replies

• NorthernCally
    Options
    Oooo! I'll be trying this one! And, I'll trade you recipes. I broke a Kellogg's Bran Bar in 1/2 and put it in a snack size bag, spooned some yogurt on top of it (not too much, since the bar is pretty narrow), and put the other 1/2 on top. Stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours and, voila!, a healthier ice cream bar! Now that I think about it, it would probably be easier to use 2 bars; you could always break them in 1/2, if the calories were high. Either way, I enjoyed them!
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump Can't wait to try it!!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Always up for frozen treats.
  • ckenning
    Options
    Yum.
    Bump
  • ennaejay
    Options
    awesome. I do something similar, I also add 1/2 c. cottage cheese before pureeing and do half the amounts of banana and strawberry. Also I use vanilla protein but sometimes I add a couple Ts of dark cocoa :-D Nom nom! Hits the spot - every time.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I make something very similar to this, using the frozen bananas and frozen strawberries and/or frozen blueberries, the almond milk, just a pinch of vanilla extract and a tablespoon of organic agave nectar. To die for! But not, because it's healthy! :)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can find this later :wink:
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Finally got the picture to post! :tongue:
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Oooo! I'll be trying this one! And, I'll trade you recipes. I broke a Kellogg's Bran Bar in 1/2 and put it in a snack size bag, spooned some yogurt on top of it (not too much, since the bar is pretty narrow), and put the other 1/2 on top. Stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours and, voila!, a healthier ice cream bar! Now that I think about it, it would probably be easier to use 2 bars; you could always break them in 1/2, if the calories were high. Either way, I enjoyed them!

Great idea! Thanks!
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    **bump** I want to go back to this later and try it out. Thank you for sharing.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    You will be happy you tried it! I love ice cream and this makes me feel like I'm cheating by having such a big bowl! But, it's really a complete meal with protein, carbs and healthy fat! (when you top with almonds)
  • omega1227
    Options
    Looks delicious, I'll definitely have to try this!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • NorthernCally
    Options
    I'm jumpin' on the bump. :happy:
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to make protein powder and egg ice cream! My "Oxygen" magazine has recipes for protein powder desserts. I have also made protein powder pancakes, cookies and cupcakes, and experimented with recipes I find. i like it. I am low carb but not low fat, so I can even make cream cheese icing if I use Stevia as the sweetener.

You can actually make a pancake or cupcake with just an egg, stevia, and protein powder. I add ginger, cinnamon, and if I let myself add a few carbs I sometimes add a little bit of almond meal and maybe xanthan gum (to thicken.)
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    You are probably my new favorite person in the whole world. I will definitely be trying this. . . as soon as I buy a blender :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Big fan of the Vitamix. It's an investment, yet it's been worth every penny and more. I use it almost every day and it never fails me, though I've failed it a few times!

Never, ever forget to put the black lid on. Ever. I learned the hard way after adding all these beautiful ingredients for a Strawberry sorbet (Strawberries, Lime Juice, Sweetener, Ice) I forgot to put the black lid on, then decided I needed to shove the tamper in to move the ice around...anyone that owns a Vitamix knows how powerful it is. Well, I burst the tamper. The blades just chopped it to bits. After trying to fish our black plastic tamper shards to no avail, we gave up on the Strawberry Sorbet that night. $20 lesson.

And just the other night, I put in all the ingredients for homemade Hummus....only to realize as soon as I turned on the Vitamix that I'd left the clear top inside the pitcher. Fortunately this time it just nicked the top a little. There's a few edges sharp enough on that clear top to help me remember to CHECK before mixing.

But those are just me being stupid, not the machine's fault at all. It's remarkably simple to use and amazingly strong.

I make a drink in the morning that all in my family love. I'm gonna write it up as a recipe for my food log. Here it is if you want to try it

SpinachBerry Smoothie (I SWEAR you cannot taste the Spinach at all)

Big Handful of Organic Baby Spinach
    Handful of fresh blueberries
    6 Strawberries (yes, leave the green leaves on for extra nutrients, the Vitamix will pulverize them)
    1/4 C or so of Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1/4 C Plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
    3-4 Sweet n Low packets or 4 Truvia packets, or your sweetener of choice
    Lots of ice, 10-20 pieces, fill up Vitamix about 3/4

Blend a couple of minutes til it's very smooth. The texture is creamy and icy and you're getting all those nutrients from the Spinach and Berries as well as calcium from both the Almond Milk and Yogurt.
  • Jleigh417
    Jleigh417 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing : )
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    yummy delicious! totally gonna try this one, My husband will love it.
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    think it would work in just a regular blender?? I dont have a Vita Mix.