Food Guilt

springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
edited December 2020 in Food and Nutrition
What food have you bought that you loath, but was too expensive to get rid of, so now it has a permanent home in your pantry?

I bought these around the same time I started taking a turmeric supplement. Now I can’t bear the sight or smell of turmeric.

Not to slam the maker. I love this company’s spice mixes and their honey crystals (light sprinkle on top of yogurt pudding is sooooo good ). But turmeric....*shudder*

5ebwk8dcl0bb.jpeg

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    I have a huge collection of teas and infusions. I rarely drink teas or infusions.

My problem is that I have no sense of smell, so I'm seduced by packaging and the wonderful descriptions of how they taste, but they almost always disappoint when I drink then (with the exception of mint, ginger, rosehip etc that have a taste/tongue sensation component).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Up until recently, it was a shipment of Built bars...but luckily I was able to unload them on someone last week. 👍
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    What food have you bought that you loath, but was too expensive to get rid of, so now it has a permanent home in your pantry?

I bought these around the same time I started taking a turmeric supplement. Now I can’t bear the sight or smell of turmeric.

Not to slam the maker. I love this company’s spice mixes and their honey crystals (light sprinkle on top of yogurt pudding is sooooo good ). But turmeric....*shudder*

5ebwk8dcl0bb.jpeg

I use turmeric all the time! Send my way???😉
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited December 2020
    Up until recently, it was a shipment of Built bars...but luckily I was able to unload them on someone last week. 👍

I bought some Built Bar based on a specisl discount offer.

They really s*cked but I slogged thru and ate them all bc I hate wasting $ by throwing things away.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I eat the chocolate around the built bars I end up not liking.

I don't like wasting food so the parts I like either go in my belly or the whole thing goes on a bus stop bench for the homeless.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    I just gave away a goose. We were meant to host two Xmas dinners and ordered two geese but now that London is in Tier 4 lockdown all social visits are banned. I only have room in the fridge/freezer for one goose.

I bring unwanted food gifts like chocolate and cakes to the homeless guy who hangs out at the tube station near me. I should probably feel responsible for the state of his teeth.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I bought a package of asparagus and forgot about it for two weeks, so when I finally saw it again the other night it was well on its way to green jelly. :( I was more disappointed than guilty about wasting the asparagus. I don't remember what my original plan for it was, but I'm sure it would have been delicious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    I have a ridiculous amount of tea yet really only like Earl Grey. I've been trying to cut down on caffeine so have been making chai with rooibos, but the only boxes that ever seem to get emptied are of the Earl Grey, which I buy by the case.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I have had two canisters of hot chocolate mix in my cabinet for YEARS. It's good quality stuff (not Swiss Miss packets).

It's not that I don't like hot chocolate...it's just not something I ever think to make.
    Hmmm....someone at work just gave me some Bailey's...maybe THAT'S a good reason to make hot chocolate...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I have had two canisters of hot chocolate mix in my cabinet for YEARS. It's good quality stuff (not Swiss Miss packets).

It's not that I don't like hot chocolate...it's just not something I ever think to make.
    Hmmm....someone at work just gave me some Bailey's...maybe THAT'S a good reason to make hot chocolate...

I use a few grams of Ghirardelli sweet ground chocolate in my smoothies. It’s a good way to give them a little oomph. Usually about 7 grams is just enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member

Turns out I am sensitive to stevia and had to give up my chocolate protein powder. I've replaced it with plain PP plus hot chocolate mix. I mix it with coffee, chia seeds, and coconut shreds for a filling meal for me.

But Baileys sounds great!

When I want an adult beverage this time of year I have hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps, or chocolate vodka, or raspberry vodka, or a combo...lots of possibilities!
  • DonnasJourney0805
    DonnasJourney0805 Posts: 75 Member

Thank God I never ordered any.. I almost did when I was doing WW..lol
  • justMbailey
    justMbailey Posts: 8 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have a huge collection of teas and infusions. I rarely drink teas or infusions.

My problem is that I have no sense of smell, so I'm seduced by packaging and the wonderful descriptions of how they taste, but they almost always disappoint when I drink then (with the exception of mint, ginger, rosehip etc that have a taste/tongue sensation component).

I am the exact same way! completely no sense of smell so the delicate flavors of tea leave me at a complete loss, they taste like nothing!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I had four jars of powdered low-fat peanut butter in my pantry for years. I can’t even remember that name of the brand now.

Everyone was raving about how it was “just like peanut butter” for a fraction of the calories. I used like half of one jar and was over it. Just gimme some real peanut butter and I’ll make it fit!

I ended up throwing them all out.