Will chia seeds break my fast?

Options
I've been doing IF (15:9) and this week was adding chia seeds to black tea in the afternoon, during my eating period (12-9).

I normally had a cup of tea in the morning before IF. Will 12 oz of black tea, no sugar, with 1T chia seeds break my fast if I have it in the morning?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It's food. Does food break your fast? Then yes. What if it was a handful of almonds, or an apple, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, why would chia seeds be different?

On the other hand, absolutely nothing will happen if you eat food during your fasting window other than you break an arbitrary rule.

I have nothing to add to these excellent points. Just quoting for emphasis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    happymom24 wrote: »
    I've been doing IF (15:9) and this week was adding chia seeds to black tea in the afternoon, during my eating period (12-9).

I normally had a cup of tea in the morning before IF. Will 12 oz of black tea, no sugar, with 1T chia seeds break my fast if I have it in the morning?

1 Tbsp of chia seeds is about 70 calories...about the same as an egg. So yes...it would break your fast. Does it matter? Other than breaking an arbitrary eating window, no...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It will break your fast but it don’t make you gain weight as long as you include it in your daily calories log.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The only benefit fasting has for weight loss is if it helps you to stick to your calorie deficit. If a tablespoon of chia isn't going to prevent you from sticking to your calories, go ahead and have them. IF is not magic.