Kidney stone diet

Has anyone here had kidney stones (10/10 don't recommend)? I had my first one last week and had it surgically removed. It was the most excruciating painful thing ever. I think it was caused by dehydration (I'm chronically dehydrated and get IV fluids every week) but I definitely don't want to get one again so what foods should I avoid? I get 75% of my nutrition through a feeding tube but I still eat some foods by mouth.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Bumping this
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Given that you’ve just had surgery and are on a feeding tube, I really, really think you should ask your doctor for their advice. You might get some well meaning but wrong advice on here and it could result in more pain or something worse. Sending you best wishes, but please go talk to your doc.
  • johnnywadiiii
    johnnywadiiii Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2020
    I was told it depended on what type of stone you had. Its chemical composition. I also had mine removed, no surgery...and there's only ONE WAY IN! My type had me avoid pepper (the spice type) , broccoli, and some other vegetables I can't remember now as the last one was in 2009. Funny but I still have the left over percoset pills I didn't use...just in case.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    As mentioned above it depends on what the composition of the stone was. I had a stone a few years ago and you are correct about it being extremely painful! Unfortunately I passed my stone and they didn’t catch it so I never knew what mine was made up of. My doctor told me to stay hydrated and avoid foods with the highest oxalate levels since that’s what the majority of stones are made up of so I had to give up spinach, whole grains and dark chocolate. I do eat other lower level oxalate foods but try to combine them with some form of dairy so the oxalates will bind with the calcium and stay in the gut instead of passing through the kidneys supposedly (?)
  • cynnamingirl
    cynnamingirl Posts: 12 Member
    I feel your pain. I have chronic kidney stones. Always 4 at a time. Originally they told me they were calcium stones, so I went on a low calcium diet. I kept getting them. After 5 years of this, I did some research and suspected I had Hypoparathyroidism, whiz causes chronic kidney stones. I had surgery to remove all 4 glands, they left a sliver to regulate my calcium, and I STILL keep getting them. The surgery was 6 years ago. I figure the only thing left is to lose weight and get the rest of my body healthy so I have an easier time with them. Anyone else ever go through this?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If it’s caused by chronic dehydration as you suggest, the specific types of food you eat may not matter.
  • scott_90345
    scott_90345 Posts: 17 Member
    Better to avoid foods which are rich in oxalate including beets, beans and spinach. I'd suggest to add calcium-rich foods in your diet and keep yourself hydrated.