I need suggestions!!!!

Options
I do not know why, but I have been having a lot of trouble falling asleep at night. I mean usually no earlier than 3. Despite how little caffeine I drink or even if I only have a cup in the morning, I still can't sleep. My routine has not been any different and I am not more stressed than usual. In the beginning of my school year, I was getting up before my classes and going to the gym, since by the end of the day I have no motivation or the gym is closed when I am able to go. Now since I am having trouble falling asleep, I can't get my butt out of bed earlier than I need to for class, since I got no sleep the night before. Anyone have any suggestions to help me get back on track.

Replies

• AllieD
    AllieD Posts: 35
    Options
    I do not know why, but I have been having a lot of trouble falling asleep at night. I mean usually no earlier than 3. Despite how little caffeine I drink or even if I only have a cup in the morning, I still can't sleep. My routine has not been any different and I am not more stressed than usual. In the beginning of my school year, I was getting up before my classes and going to the gym, since by the end of the day I have no motivation or the gym is closed when I am able to go. Now since I am having trouble falling asleep, I can't get my butt out of bed earlier than I need to for class, since I got no sleep the night before. Anyone have any suggestions to help me get back on track.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This happens to me occasionally and it seems to be cyclical. Sometimes it takes a month but I eventually snap out of it for a while.

A very regular routine helps some. And don't exercise less than 2 hours before you plan to go to bed. I found that by just "going with" staying up, I would be so exhausted by 9 the next night that I had no trouble sleeping. Sometimes that was enough to kick me back into a normal sleep pattern.
  • crazycj82
    Options
    Try melatonin or Valerian Root. Both are natural mild sedatives with little or no addictive properties. Just sounds like your daily cycle needs to be re-set. Also, don't work out before you go to bed (if that's what you're doing now) because it usually takes the body 2 or 3 hours to unwind from exertion. Give that a try! Good luck :)
  • AllieD
    AllieD Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks guys :smile:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I used to eat a chocolate chip cookie and drink a glass of milk. But I wouldn't suggest it.:tongue:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    what they all said... and create a bed time routine that you stick to every night. i had the same problem for a while too. i got in the routine of making a mug of sleepytime tea, sitting in bed reading or watching tv (just generally winding down), finish tea, brush teeth, immediately get back into bed, and fall asleep. i think having a routine helped my mind to relax, and my body followed...

sweet dreams!
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that you shouldn't do anything in your bed but sleep. Make it your designated sleeping area, and do your work/homework/reading/etc. somewhere else. That way your subconscious clues in that the only thing to do is sleep.

Oh, and the other thing is to keep your linens cleaned regularly. Wash them once a week or more. Your nose triggers into your deep brain, so a clean smelling bed can make getting to sleep easier.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think clean sheets are very relaxing

Especially after a hot shower:smooched:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It is fairly common for women to have insomnia due to their menstruation cycle, could that be the cause of yours?

I don't take anything for mine but if you find that is the pattern for you talk to your doctor about possible solutions, medication wise etc.