How Foods May Affect Our Sleep

I've been experimenting with my bed time snack and have found what I have really does make a difference in my sleep. Last night I got almost 9 hours straight, which, as someone who might wake up once, twice, or three times is crazy!

I've been separately working on increasing fiber and decreasing saturated fat and now that I reread this, think the overall changes are helping as well.

I'm sad to give up my bed time chocolate square, but I think it really does trigger my bladder.

How Foods May Affect Our Sleep

A growing body of research suggests that the foods you eat can affect how well you sleep, and your sleep patterns can affect your dietary choices.

This has not been a very good year for sleep.

With the coronavirus pandemic, school and work disruptions and a contentious election season contributing to countless sleepless nights, sleep experts have encouraged people to adopt a variety of measures to overcome their stress-related insomnia. Among their recommendations: engage in regular exercise, establish a nightly bedtime routine and cut back on screen time and social media.

But many people may be overlooking another important factor in poor sleep: diet. A growing body of research suggests that the foods you eat can affect how well you sleep, and your sleep patterns can affect your dietary choices.

Researchers have found that eating a diet that is high in sugar, saturated fat and processed carbohydrates can disrupt your sleep, while eating more plants, fiber and foods rich in unsaturated fat — such as nuts, olive oil, fish and avocados — seems to have the opposite effect, helping to promote sound sleep.

...In general, clinical trials have also found that carbohydrates have a significant impact on sleep: People tend to fall asleep much faster at night when they consume a high-carbohydrate diet compared to when they consume a high-fat or high-protein diet. That may have something to do with carbs helping tryptophan cross into the brain more easily.

But the quality of carbs matters. In fact, they can be a double-edged sword when it comes to slumber. Dr. St-Onge has found in her research that when people eat more sugar and simple carbs — such as white bread, bagels, pastries and pasta — they wake up more frequently throughout the night. In other words, eating carbs may help you fall asleep faster, but it is best to consume “complex” carbs that contain fiber, which may help you obtain more deep, restorative sleep.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/10/well/eat/sleep-foods-diet.html

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing that.

I have always wondered if/how what I eat affects my sleep. The only correlation that I've been able to nail down is that when I eat spicy food for dinner, I have sleep issues. Not heartburn or stomach issues that keep me up, but really vivid and intense dreams that disrupt my sleep. It's a very noticeable difference after a spicy meal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    This is a great thread topic, so I wish I had something useful to contribute to it.

Ever since chemotherapy (which brought on menopause instantly, for me: We call it "chemopause"), my sleep has been awful. I've made some improvement over the years, but even now 3 hours or so solid, followed by waking up every hour and half hour or so, maybe oftener (but going right back to sleep in seconds, usually) would be the pattern. I haven't seen any food-related pattern, but maybe I need to pay more attention. I don't eat large amounts of added sugar, and most of my simple carbs are in a whole foods context (fruit, dairy). My fiber from food is high (rarely less than 35g, often up to 50g+).

(Before anyone asks: Yes, I have sleep apnea. I use a CPAP (well, APAP). The apnea is treated as well as they can treat it, based on multiple in-center sleep studies. I still wake up frequently, and the sleep center doesn't know why. I've tried every folk remedy I know of, multiple forms of magnesium, melatonin, herb teas, and I don't know what all. So far, the most effective intervention - exceeding even the apnea treatment - was hypnotherapy from a credentialed psychologist. That got me from waking up every hour and a half all night, to the point of an intial 3-5 hour sleep block, followed still by the repeated wake-ups . . . a huge improvement. Still not where I'd prefer to be, obviously.)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Fiber is the star, yet again 🤣 That said, supplementation (melatonin or magnesium combos) didn't help my less than stellar sleep hygiene issues years ago.

But, this year, thanks to a few insights from MFP logging, I choose to eat my lightest meal of the day at dinnertime. And very rarely are there snacks afterwards. I even try to stop drinking water by 10 pm or sooner.

I find I've been sleeping faster and deeper (and these more consistently) since doing so. Reducing my coffee intake to max 2 cups/day (both consummed by 2 pm) may also be a factor. 🤷🏿‍♀️ Correlation, causation, etc.

All I know is that sleep helps with gains and I'll grab em wherever I can get em.

May good, restorative rest be bedmates to us all moving forward 🥂⬅️ ironically, definitely NOT a bedtime drink.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2020
    I do magnesium, an occasional cup of chamomile tea, but a low-fat string cheese at bedtime helps, too.
    The thing that helped me most was cutting ALL caffeine, not just after a certain time of day. Well, that and divorce. (Stress relief)
  • scott_90345
    scott_90345 Posts: 17 Member
    Foods rich in sugar or salt may cause the blood pressure to increase in many people. This is commonly followed by the agitation and stress. Exercises and meditation helps a lot in relaxing the mind if done continuously. Sleeping just after eating food often triggers the disruption in sleep.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    I do think foods make a major difference in sleep. I snore, used to quite a bit (I'm told!). I found a snorning app called Snore Lab that has helped me a lot. It's free and very useful. Records your snoring and gives you ideas/advice on how to reduce your snoring. There are actually mouth exercises you can do to reduce it. I've reduced my snoring in half since having the app over a couple of years.

Some insights I've learned -- I snore less when I have a fan lightly blowing on my face, I snore much less using the nasal dialaters (plastic inserts that open up your nasal cavaties), I snore MUCH more if I drink alcohol (even one drink), snoring and weight go hand in hand. If I gain even five pounds, my snoring goes up significantly.

I got my wife, daughter and son weighted blankets this X-mas. They have all said it's dramatically helped improve their sleep quality. Screen time at night is sleep's worst enemy. Bluelight glasses or filters are fantastic at night.

My wife also sleeps much better with a nice eye mask. She also uses ear plugs as well as she's easily woken.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    BTW, sleep is a great topic. When my wife came down with Fibromyalgia years ago, a lot of it stemmed from pain interrupting sleep and then lack of sleep making it exaggerated. After reading up on sleep for years, it became pretty clear that many health issues can be started or greatly impacted by lack of sleep. It's so critically important and an ongoing battle for many. Not only for physical health but mental health as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I've been aggressive about sleep hygiene for years, but what I eat or do not eat before bed was the missing piece.

1. My last full beverage is decaf and before dinner, with just a bit at dinner
    2. No blue light (TV, computer, phone) for the last hour or so before I want to sleep
    3. Earplugs
    4. Blackout curtains over heavy shades
    5. Get the temperature right
    6. Exercise sometime during the day, but not too close to bedtime