Stationary Bikes with MFP connect?

Options
I'm looking to purchase a stationary bike. (not a peleton). Does anyone know if there are bikes that have Bluetooth or Apps that sync with MFP? Basically, I'd rather not have to manually put in my workout details. I have MapMyFitness and I know that syncs with MFP but I think Map My Fitness is for outdoor/GPS workouts. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    There loads and loads of indoor bikes and smart bike trainers with ANT+ and/or Bluetooth connectivity, the range of prices is extremely wide so you need to decide your price bracket, required features and communicate your intended usage.
    I'd definitely recommend getting one with a power meter if you are serious about training for performance and/or want calorie burn accuracy.

What do you use to capture your data from your outdoor rides? (Phone or bike computer perhaps?)

Not seeing why you couldn't use MapMyFitness/MapMyRide) for indoor training though if you already use it. GPS for speed and distance outdoors is replaced by a speed sensor on an indoor bike but with the caveat the resulting speed and distance tends to be very inflated (no aero or rolling resistance etc). An alternative app to MapMy is Strava which can also be linked here.

I use a Garmin bike computer which I link to the indoor bike and then on to Strava but I could link Garmin Connect app directly to myfitnesspal if I wanted to. The bike I use in the gym is a WattBike Pro and I can use my phone with Wattbike Hub training app which also links to Strava but I wouldn't spend anywhere near Wattbike prices for home use, I'd be more likely to put my bike on a wheel-on or wheel-off smart trainer.
  • wheretheskygrows
    Options
    Thanks - I didn't think of Garmin Connect or Strava. I have used both. Great info on the power meter- thanks so much!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Posting to second @sijomial's excellent advice. All around but especially about the power metering part.