Weight Loss and Eyesight Change

Options
Occasionally I Google this and only come up with places trying to sell weight loss products or eye surgery.

I've heard that eyesight can change during pregnancy, but I always assumed that it was hormonal.

Over the last couple of years, I've lost 70 pounds, and (admittedly) haven't seen my optometrist....but it seems like my vision has gone downhill faster than it has in the past. I'm 45 and wear bifocal glasses, or contacts with reading glasses, and no, I'm not pregnant!

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Yes, I know I need to make an appointment, but thought I'd ask here in the interim.

TIA

Replies

• GrannyCynth
    GrannyCynth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My friend lost a lot of weight and it enabled her to not have to wear her glasses anymore.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    durning this weight loss time, have you gotten any younger? if not that could be the reason
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but at your age (cough, sorry) one's eyesight just tends to change pretty rapidly for awhile. You literally go from not needing reading glasses to needing them virtually overnight around 40. I used to work for an optometrist when I was in college and he said this to my mother who didn't yet need them and thought it was a horrible thing to say, but it happened like he said it would within a year or so and she was like "I'll be darned, he was right." :laugh:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but at your age (cough, sorry) one's eyesight just tends to change pretty rapidly for awhile. You literally go from not needing reading glasses to needing them virtually overnight around 40. I used to work for an optometrist when I was in college and he said this to my mother who didn't yet need them and thought it was a horrible thing to say, but it happened like he said it would within a year or so and she was like "I'll be darned, he was right." :laugh:

agree here, this past year i went from reading glasses i hardly wore, to bifocals i had to wear 24/7 in really just a few months time, my eyes just suddenly went from eh could use a little help occasionally to can't see ****. now i have multi focal contacts, the dogs kept knocking the glasses off my face
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Changes in blood sugar can also affect your eyes. Jan 2010 I had some bifocals made for distance and computer work (I am nearsighted) and they never seemed to be quite right. I had them checked 4 times within 2 months and got different readings from the opthamologist each time. He suggested that I have my blood sugar checked and get it stabilized before having my eyes checked again. I was borderline on the blood tests so I started watching what I ate a bit more. After a few months of watching it my eyes must have stabilized because my bifocals work fine now. I still have to take them off for close work or to read.
  • tllearn
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all. Yeah, I should have taken the age thing into consideration a bit more. I suppose having to wear bifocals and reading glasses at 42, I shouldn't be surprised that it kept changing 3 years later.

My blood sugar has been tested repeatedly with my health issues, and has been fine.