First 10K. I need some advice.

Options
So I have never ran a 10K before. I have done 5k in the past but not within the last year and a half. I'm in the Army so I'm great doing a 2mile, my last time was 16:28. I know its not grreat I'm slowly improving it. I have never been a huge runner so I don't really know what kinda of schedule will help me 1- get me ready to run a 10K by the 1st of November and 2-help improve my 2-mile run time.
Any good advice or tips to help me out?

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    "Run a lot. Mostly easy, sometimes hard." <--- best advice I've ever gotten regarding running.

Check out some running programs at runnersworld.com or Hal Higdon.

Best advice when increasing mileage is to take it slow.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Here is a website based off of c25k. "run a 10K in 6 weeks"
    http://10k101.com/run-a-10k-in-six-weeks/
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Take your time building up to the 6 mile mark. Do a short run one day, then next run go longer, ect. I would do a search on how to train for a 10k. It is totally doable in a month's time.
  • oh_mg
    oh_mg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When training for a longer distance than I have raced before, I run three times a week. One is a long run where I gradually increase my distance but run at or a little slower than my race pace. The other two runs are shorter distance, but I focus on speed. I usually do walk/run intervals so I can go faster, then rest, then run some more.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and build your mileage over time. You can google Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. Both are running gurus and there should be several workouts on their sites. Pretty soon the longer distance will be second nature. 6 months ago I had a hard time running a 5k, now my daily workout is 5miles ...10-13 mile run every other weekend. Oh....read a book called Born to Run...great fun and some interesting info about running.
  • snhatfield
    Options
    Awesome. Thank y'all :)
    I will definately check those out!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When training for my first 10K last year I tried following the OHR program (One hour runner) but never stuck to it, so I did my own thing.

I ran 3-4 times a week, with my long run on either Saturday or Sunday because of my schedule. My long run I'd increase it by 1/2 mile each week. I was running 3-4 miles on the other 2-3 days.

Now that I'm training for my first 1/2 Marathon I've incorporated interval training into my workouts, and that's helped enormously with increasing my speed. Now I have to remind myself to slow down on my pace runs or any run beyond 8 miles so I save up enough energy :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Also as far as speed goes. Don't worry about it. Your speed will increase naturally as you build. Most experts agree that you should have a strong base (years) of consistent running before you integrate speed work into your work outs, as they put tremendous amounts of stress on your ligaments/tendons/joints.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first 10K (my first official race at any length, actually) and I'm running intervals and planning to keep it that way. I'm running 3 minutes then walking 1 for the first two miles and running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute for the third and fourth miles. I'll be slowly building up to the 6 mile distance over the next few weeks during my one long run on the weekend and focusing on just finishing. :tongue: On weekdays, I don't run more than 2-3 miles (mostly due to time constraints) and try to focus more on pace.