Whole or skim milk?

Options
Is whole milk making me gain weight? I drink whole milk with my coffee everyday and I’m definitely gaining

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits into your calorie deficit is fine. Personal preference on how you want to spend your calories. Eating more calories, from any food or beverage consumed leads to weight gain. There is no bad food resulting in weight gain. Just too many calories.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    How many cups of coffee and how much milk per cup? In terms of calories, skim milk would be more calorie friendly, especially, if you're adding lots of milk or drinking multiple cups. However, a splash or two of whole milk by itself in one cup of coffee would not cause weight gain. Weight gain has more to do with your overall diet and how many calories you are taking in per day.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If pre-measured and if it fits in your caloric goal whole milk will not make you gain weight. I regularly put half and half or steamed/frothed whole milk (pre-measured) in mine and have been in maintenance for several years. No weight gain.
  • labratjm
    labratjm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    when i was looking for ways to shave calories, i replaced creamer and milk with unsweetened cashew milk. It's not quite the same, but now i prefer it over creamer or milk.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Has the whole milk caused any significant increase in cals?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my coffee creamer is non negotiable.

i also don't usually eat breakfast though, so .... whatever.

there is a difference in calories between whole and skim milk, but a splash in your coffee probably isn't going to make a huge difference. now, if half the cup is milk, then, it could.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Agree that the satisfaction factor is much more important than the calorie factor in one cup of coffee. To me, fat is satisfying.
    To you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I drink raw whole milk w/cream in it and all and it does not cause me to gain any wt
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    If you are not tracking something, it can add up in calories. Whole milk vs skim vs 1/2 and 1/2 - all can be consumed with a net gain or consumed with a net loss. I am down 20+ lb since mid-september and I have 2 - 3 coffees a day. All with 1/2 & 1/2, but the 1/2 & 1/2 are tracked and included in my daily calorie goal. So in answer to your question, your best course is to be measuring and tracking all that you consume including your whole milk. Then you have data to adjust your choices.
  • pourmonsoleil
    pourmonsoleil Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have half and half in my coffee everyday sometimes in two cups of coffee. I measure it out and count it every time and have lost 65 pounds in the past year.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'd say unless you're drinking a lot of it it's most likely not the main (or even significant) cause of weight gain. I've weighed out my "splashes" of milk and the difference between me using my skim milk or my parents' whole milk was a max of 20-30kcal per very large cup of coffee. Similarly me using a tiny bit of sugar vs sweetener is also about 20kcal per large cup