Hello!

Options
January 1, 2021. 62 years old. 5'3" and have hit 190.3 lbs this morning. Have been debating how to tackle getting rid of 40 lbs this year. Have done WW in the past, TOPS, was considering Simply For Life, but I need flexiblility. I have had My Fitness Pal downloaded for many years and always start out with good intentions, but never stick with it. I am the heaviest I have ever been and worry now about Diabetes as it is prominent in my family. I am hoping that that might be the catalyst that helps me stick to my plan. Best of luck to all my fellow pals.

Replies

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @pcgirl58 You can do this! I have lost 55lb so far and need to lose another 30lb by counting calories and low carbs. Never give up on yourself!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to MFP. I'm 63, 5'1". I had hit 200 In October 2020. I've been logging daily, eating healthier and I'm down 18 pounds as of this morning. You can do this!!! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    It's worth considering if you've tried to overhaul too much at the one time and this is why you don't stick with it.

Weight loss doesn't have to be a miserable experience.

A great way to start is to get used to logging accurately - food scale is best as you'd be surprised how badly most of us estimate portion sizes. Log what you're eating normally for a couple of days and then set yourself to 1lb loss per week and see what small changes you can make to get you to your calorie goal.

This could be as simple as
    > cutting down on sugary and creamy drinks, replacing them with diet/low fat versions/water
    > having smaller portions of high calorie items and bigger portions of lower calorie items.
    > being mindful of those little extras - milk in hot beverages, oil in cooking, condiments with meals.

Over time you can look to improve nutrition for satiety and health but weight loss is first and foremost about being in a calorie deficit. Don't overcomplicate it and don't feel like you have to starve yourself to get there.