What's for lunch?

Options
I enjoyed reading the thread about what people were eating for breakfast, but I wonder what other ideas there are for lunch. I've been stuck in a rut of low sodium soup and a half sandwich lately.

What do you all eat mid day?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    we went out today and ate at cracker barrel for breakfast/ lunch LOL

so french toast, eggs, and sausage.

typically I eat leftovers of some variety or whatever I have and feel like throwing together. dinner is really my only planned meal of the day, and I tend to work everything else around that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Usually leftovers or a sandwich. I'm either at home working or in the office working, so I don't really have time to be to fussy about lunch.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I prep lunches for the week and I've got my next six weeks planned out. I aim for about 600 calories or so for my lunches, rounding out lighter preps with a side of yogurt, fruit, or a protein bar if needed. I buy the 32-oz containers of plain Greek yogurt and add fresh fruit or jam to flavor it rather than buying the single-serve flavored yogurts - less trash and I can control the sugar content. I do my batch cooking on Sundays, usually.

Next week (1/11-15) is going to be Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli.

1/18-22 will be "Egg Roll in a Bowl" - ground pork sauteed with carrots and cabbage with soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Serve with duck sauce and sriracha. It's filling and delicious, you'll never miss the fried wrapper (or all its calories).

1/25-29 will be Greek-style chicken, green beans, and orzo pilaf.

2/1-5 the plan is kielbasa pasta - polska kielbasa (turkey if I can find it, otherwise we'll just be eating a little more fat that week) sauteed with onions, peppers, and squash in a tomato sauce over egg noodles or maybe a lentil/chickpea pasta, not sure yet.

2/8-12 will be poor man's charcuterie boxes (i.e., Lunchables, but for grownups). It'll depend on what I find at the grocery, but I'll put together some combination of meat, cheese, pickled or fresh veg, crackers, possibly hard-boiled eggs, maybe fruit and/or nuts. My most recent box involved a hard boiled egg, cubed watermelon, a cucumber-yogurt salad, cheddar cheese cubes, and a few slices of salami.

2/15-19 will be Japanese curry over rice. We like Golden Curry's Medium-Hot flavor. I'll probably use chicken for the protein alongside the normal potato, carrot, and onion, and I usually like to drop in something green as well, like bok choy, broccoli, spinach, or cabbage.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Big salad most days. kale, napa cabbage, tomatoes, celery, cucumber, and some veggie protein (often in a homemade salad dressing made with hummus, smashed beans or silken tofu)
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    a variation of this is my go to, it's a salad minus the dressing and the hassle, fyi the same people who give me shiz for eating deli meat (ie high in sodium!?) or fruit (high in sugar?!) are the ones having burgers and fries and a shake for lunch themselves, ha ha (by the way the turkey is the Columbus reduced sodium kind, and I don't add salt to the vegies so it all balances out) just trying to help I find that the easier the meal and the more convenient the more likely I am to eat it, also I love soups but there is something to be said or raw vegies, also you are going for volume and trust me this is a ton of food but it's less than 500 calories easy

qa42jlddmii4.jpg

up39nbnpqjdy.jpg

5m0wl2o3p3u9.jpg
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have been sauteeing a part of a purple onion and putting it in a low carb wrap with grilled chicken and low fat cheese. I have that with a fruit and veggie.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’m usually home, so I do a protein (usually a salmon burger) with a giant salad, veggie stir fry or roasted veggies. Sometimes leftovers from the night before and add to it raw veggies or fruit. If I am meeting a friend for a picnic lunch (thank you Covid), then it is a sandwich, raw veggies and fruit. Occasionally I’ll bring cheese and crackers or hummus and carrots instead of the sandwich.

In summer, I eat a lot of fruit and more salads with chicken or tuna on them.