Ok I am a fat chick who loves her alcohol looking for support

Options
lmlmrn
lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
Happy New Year to all!
First off I am a 60+ year old. I have struggled with my weight for decades. Even tried Weight Watchers for a whole year and lost 3lb, yep just 3. I struggle with alcohol. I am putting that out there.
I would love some likewise folks to add me as friends I could use the support this year. I want to limit my adult beverage intake and lose weight. Two large challenges

Please send friend requests and lets support each other this year

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to log it and go from there. It is possible to drink and lose weight, but you need to account for it and leave room for healthy choices. Alcohol has more calories per gram than carbs or protein, so it adds up quickly, without nutritional value.
  • lmlmrn
    Options
    Hi DancingMoosie While I appreciate your information on the calories and alcohol, I am well aware of this fact. I am looking for others who are in the same position as I am. I am sure it was not your intention when you replied to this post but he seemed to my eyes it was more judgemental.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Just mentioning here that alcohol CANNOT be stored by the body so it has to fully metabolize all of it's calories BEFORE any other energy source of the body gets used. So that means NO CARBS or FATS are burned at all till all the alcohol you have in the body is gone. And one of the worse times to ingest a lot of alcohol is before you go to bed for the night. And you burn the most stored body fat (if in a calorie deficit) when your body is at rest or asleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jomc20
    jomc20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi lmlmrn - I'm Jo - sent you a FR and PM.
  • lmlmrn
    Options
    Thank you sprinlering62.
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is probably my biggest challenge being on a diet. It can torpedo my goals. I lost 34 lbs in 2019 and have gained 20 back. It’s time to get this ‘Rona weight off!!!
    Best of luck reaching your goals!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I pretty much had to cut alcohol completely out to lose weight. Not because of the calories in the alcohol, but because of the drunk munchies. I’d blow my calorie target out of the water every week.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Hi DancingMoosie While I appreciate your information on the calories and alcohol, I am well aware of this fact. I am looking for others who are in the same position as I am. I am sure it was not your intention when you replied to this post but he seemed to my eyes it was more judgemental.

🤷‍♀️ Idk where you got that idea. I do like to indulge, but I also know that counting calories accurately is important. There was no judgement on whether or not you should...
    How do you know I'm NOT in the same position?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

@DancingMoosie is a doll and would never say anything intentionally judgemental.

You’d be amazed at how many people here fail to make the connection between alcohol and weight. I never drank alcohol, but I’ll put my pride right out there and say that, while I was fat, I never made the connection with soda, either. I honestly thought, well its liquid and it passes right through ya so it’s easy in and easy out and zero affect. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Pardon us if we state the obvious sometimes but because for everyone who thinks “man are they presumptuous”, there’s another user (me!) who has a lightbulb moment.

Awe..thanks "doll"🤗 You said basically what I meant, but perhaps said it better than I...
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to all!
    First off I am a 60+ year old. I have struggled with my weight for decades. Even tried Weight Watchers for a whole year and lost 3lb, yep just 3. I struggle with alcohol. I am putting that out there.
    I would love some likewise folks to add me as friends I could use the support this year. I want to limit my adult beverage intake and lose weight. Two large challenges

Please send friend requests and lets support each other this year

@lmlmrn Please join us in the Less Alcohol thread in the motivation and support section of the forums. There are a lot of people looking to cut back on alcohol. Everyone is very supportive!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10819232/less-alcohol-january-2021-one-day-at-a-time#latest