Day 2 (again)

Options
well i just out this app back on my phone. Last time was 2018. I lost 36 lbs then and i am only up 6, so not too bad. i need to lose about 40 more, I had some heart issues in late 2019 and I am not even 50 yet. I am struggling tonight so i thought i would pop on here for morale support. I have such a hard time with health food. I am a junk food addict and bread lover!!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome back! Congrats on keeping off the overwhelming majority of your previous loss for 2+ years: That's really good. Sounds like you have some great inspiration to keep going at this point.

For me, the idea of a total change in eating was pretty overwhelming, so it helped to think in terms of a "gradually remodel eating" approach, deciding which foods were most important to my happiness and goals, and which less important, then reducing or eliminating the ones I found relatively less tasty or satisfying, and bringing in other foods I like eating that better supported my nutrition or health goals.

It sounds like your health status may create some urgency for you to make changes, but it can still maybe be a process, rather than an instant revolution?

Wishing you much success!

• jenniferbauer211
    jenniferbauer211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - thank you! you're right, a gradual approach will help. i had enough calories left tonight so i let myself have a small ice cream cone. I guess i dont have to have that instant revolution- if it fits into my calories for the day, at least in the beginning, its ok.
    thanks again!
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great job keeping so much of yourprevious weight loss off.
    I was diagnosed with heart issues a couple of years ago and have been going to the gym regularly on the advice of my cardiologist. She tells me exercise is keeping me alive. I don't want to test what she is saying and I panicked when gyms closed- I still haven't gone back because I don't feel safe yet. With her blessing I have been doing Youtube workouts and have increased my strength and fitness because I work hard to keep up with the instructor. When I was at the gym I did the same things all the time and often not putting in my best effort. I don't know what advice you have been given by your doctor about exercising. Obviously you need to follow their advice.

Just as we went into quarantine in March I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I went home and added a few more pounds then faced reality. I have made gradual changes and I am down about 24 ponds since the summer. I knew that if I made changes that were too drastic they would not be sustainable for me. I know this is the way I need to live for the rest of my life- I need to exercise regularly with good effort and I need to eat well. There is nothing totally off limits for me but I do consider the effects on my health if I consider binging or skipping the exercisec for several days. Would I have lost more if I had taken an approach where I was stricter about my eating- probably. Would I have sustained it- NO!

Good luck to you- I know you can do this.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - thank you! you're right, a gradual approach will help. i had enough calories left tonight so i let myself have a small ice cream cone. I guess i dont have to have that instant revolution- if it fits into my calories for the day, at least in the beginning, its ok.
    thanks again!

If that general "gradual modification" approach sounds appealing, there's a more detailed thread about it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

You sound really committed, which is great. Find the strategies that help you make the process manageable/sustainable, and you're well on your way. Betting you'll be very successful! 🙂
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You’ve done a great job losing before and not gained much back. I’m sorry that you’ve had heart issues but you on the right track again to lose and be healthy. We can do this!