Salmon

Options
How do you guys cook your salmon? What is the best way?

Replies

• snkeller24
    Options
    I use a george forman grill ... but i'm fairly new at making fish
  • SavannaN
    Options
    I bake mine. Squeeze some lemon juice and/or put some lemon pepper on it.
  • ksgran
    ksgran Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like mine grilled, we put it on extra heavy foil on our gas grill, spritz with lemon juice, maybe add some capers after turning. Spray foil fish lightly with nonstick spray or it falls apart when turning. You can do the same thing under a broiler. Foil keeps your pans from getting burnt.
  • warlocksmistress
    Options
    I wrap it in 2 layers of aluminum foil, add some lemons and herbs, and bake it in the oven for 20 mins or so.
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm I love salmon :smile:

Baked in a sauce of honey, dijon mustard and lemon juice...yummy!!!
    Quick, easy and delicious!!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    BBQ or broiled in oven....like to put lemon pepper on it! Keep it rare! YUM!
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i spray it with olive oil and use pampered chef greek seasoning on each side and grill it or broil it. My boyfriend always comments how good the house smells even though i am cooking fish. : )
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In soux vie! So yummy!! But I have no idea how to spell it :P
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Pan fry in zero cal spray, or bake for 30-35 mins (depending on thickness) until flakey.

Recently covered in freshly dried dill weed with a thinly sliced orange on top with salt/pepper, baked.

Also covered in chopped basil, salt/pepper, with finely slivered garlic on top, baked.

If you like spicy: (Asian) chili sauce, (sugar free) orange marmalade, soy sauce, hint salt/pepper. Pour over, then bake.

Quick and easy is to pan fry in seasoning salt. I've also been known to use steak seasonings or other marinading packets (like McCormack "add water and vinegar").

Good luck, have fun :bigsmile:
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Grill it. Use charcoal (hard lump) or a good gas grill, set it on high. Have your fishy at room temperature, pat dry with a paper towel, and season right before grilling time with garlic powder, lemon pepper, chipotle powder, salt. Or any good rub. Pour a little good quality olive oil in your hands and coat the fish over the seasoning, and head for the grill. Lightly oil the grill grate with a paper towel saturated in oil, quite important to prevent sticking. Hot sear that fishy a good 2-3 minutes per side so you have a nice crispy brown texture, and pull it of and let it rest. Do turn carefully with a spatula, not tongs, as it can stick.DONT OVER COOK, it should flake off in nice big flakes, and be moist and delish.

Or.

Broil it. Do all the above, but blast it in your oven's broiler, 4-5 inches from the element or in the gas broiler. Same 2-3 minutes or until you have a nice brown crust. Same turning with a spatula, too.

Or.

Wrap it in a parcel of parchment paper that's been lightly oiled on the inside, and add a little salt, pepper, onions, finely chopped garlic, white wine or beer, etc. Wrap the edges but leave space for the fish to steam inside the packet, and throw on the grill or under the broiler, 5-7 minutes. Careful of the steam.

Or.

Put it on the top part a rice cooker / steamer, making rice below and salmon, asparagus, chives, broccoli and baby carrots on the top. I use basmati... mmm.... Add the fish and veggies according to the steamer directions, time wise, but it's toward the end of the cooking, if I recall correctly. (been a while)

Sauces that are nice are simple mustard and white wine, or plain yogurt, chives, finely diced cucumber and lemon. I don't generally sauce though...

Or.

LIghtly oil a very hot wok with peanut oil, and throw in broccoli, carrots, onion chunks and bok choy. Fresh garlic on top. When it starts to break down, stir (chow) and throw in chunks of salmon. Season simply, maybe salt and pepper, chow it about until the salmon is done. Finish with a wee bit of hoisin (fish sauce) and sake, or rice vinegar, or beer.

Not that I like fish or anything... ;-)

Pj
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have found that heat works best.

Also, I use orange and mango for additional flavor.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • dogger484
    Options
    I make it with dill, I Can't Believe Its Not Butter, and a tiny amount of lemon juice. Bake it for 15-17mins at 350 or until its done. I love it!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I bake it with a sauce made from ginger soy sauce, honey, a little garlic, cayenne, and dill. NOMZ.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I read an article about cooking fish "en papillote" (in parchment paper). You actually make a little envelope out of parchment, roll it to seal, and the fish bakes/steams in the pocket, making it super tender and moist. You can put whatever you like on your fish, but some items will make more "juice" than others (tomatoes and spinach vs. onions and mushrooms or whatever). Google it. I've only done it twice or so but I loved it.
  • kjnicol
    kjnicol Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yummy these are awesome ideas!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Old Bay Seasoning; Sprinkle with Old Bay. Bake 20 minutes. :) No oil needed
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    also, pretty much however you cook chicken, you can cook salmon. Just don't overcook it. that's the key.
  • thelambsy
    thelambsy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    On the barbie, its beautiful