Pre-surgery weight loss

Options
Hello all:

I am in Scotland and it’s cold, snowing this morning. COVID has closed elective surgery here, and I have been waiting now for over 12 month to have both knees replaced. I am reduced to a hobble. But: I need to lose weight to lessen the stress on my knees. I live alone, so have no one to keep me on track, and could use some help. I’m in my mid sixties, and could lose 3 stone optimally. I also struggle with emphysema. I feel like I’m in a double bind, I need energy which requires oxygen to exercise, but the pain involved in walking is worsening. I manage to do about 30 minutes every second day. So: it’s down to food. I don’t know what to say. My choices are obviously all wrong! This last year has been hard for everyone, me included, and the comfort of food has become way to easy. If I must focus on food I need the emphasis to shift allowing the weight to come off. Please could I have some pointers, advise, help? I would be grateful.
Maxine.

Replies

• Frodobaggins29
    Frodobaggins29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m post surgery spinal and waiting for more but have to lose more weight so in a similar bind , I lose weight without exercising using low carb high fat , sugar free or in other words keto where your body burns the fat because it has no carbs or sugar to burn off. Take a look at dietdoctor.com it can be quite easy using 150g portions of meat or fish and a handful off great veg or salad per meal, eggs and full fat cheese cream Mayo. They do give you shopping list and a 2 week meal plan for free if you find that easier?
    Worth a look Anyways 👍
  • gwambygine
    gwambygine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that tip on dietdoctor, I’ll go there and look now. I had thought to replicate what had worked once before and that was high protein, zero fat, zero sugar, medium carbs. I think my snacking is the bad boy in the house. Best of luck with your surgery when it arrives, are you caught up in wait lists due to COVID like here?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,169 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    gwambygine wrote: »
    Thanks for that tip on dietdoctor, I’ll go there and look now. I had thought to replicate what had worked once before and that was high protein, zero fat, zero sugar, medium carbs. I think my snacking is the bad boy in the house. Best of luck with your surgery when it arrives, are you caught up in wait lists due to COVID like here?

You can lose weight on any type of diet, as long as you eat less than you burn. The bolded is a bad idea though, our body needs fat. Eating fat doesn't make us fat, eating too many calories does.

Why don't you just set up your profile and goals as intended on MFP, weigh and log everything you eat and work with that? Eat the foods you're used to and you like, but work on the portion sizes and try to make gradual improvements. For example replacing foods that leave you less satiated by foods that fill you up more, etc. Or playing with different meal times/frequencies (for example intermittent fasting).
  • Frodobaggins29
    Frodobaggins29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    gwambygine wrote: »

Oh if you have found something that works well for you then do it!

I’m just over the border of Scotland 👍 My gp recommended higher protein , a bit of carbs , zero fat and sugar after I’ve lost the weight for the surgery as I need it ASAP.
    My surgery is just on hold until I recover from the previous one and lose enough weight and tone my core back up because he’s going in via my stomach this time. He said he will just fit me in somewhere because of Covid-19 he can’t have his holidays so he’s working them instead 🤷🏻‍♀️