I cant find the amount of calories flap meat has

Options
There are so many different results from 900 calories to 1900 calories for 23.5 oz of flap meat
What would be the most accurate one?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Wow. I never heard of flap steak before and just spent thirty minutes trying to find out. Even the beef marketing board doesn’t show it.

The closest I could find was Whole Foods at 121 for 3 ounces and a single listing on the PITA new USDA site for angus produced by one vendor at 220 for 4 ounces. That’s a wide variation.

I think the problem is it gets called a lot of other names, some in error.

My beef usually comes with a nutrition label on the Saran Wrap, which is what I go by.

My rule of thumb when lost like this is to go with the highest calorie provided by a reputable grocer, or manufacturer, or take the average of the top few highest, and choose the listing closest to that average.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    In Massachusetts, flap meat is sold a "steak tips". I learned that the hard way when I tried to purchase "tips" in a grocery store in Florida. Right or wrong, this is what I tracked the last time I did tips. "Beef Tips - Sirloin Grilling Tips "
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Flap steak is also known as sirloin tips we typically grinded it for hamburger or sausage meat.

Nutrition Facts

Flap steak
    Flap steak
    Sources include: USDA
    Amount Per
    100 grams
    100 grams
    Calories 141
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 6 g 9%
    Saturated fat 1.7 g 8%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g