Staying motivated 2021

Options
Long time lurker but active myfitnesspal user. I've had tremendous success losing weight multiple times but unfortunately regain after each mental health break down. Before being on medication weight loss was easy once I made the decision but right now I find I can only stick to my diet if I drink black coffee throughout the day lol. Looking for friends and motivation

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not many calories in black coffee :)

depression has been a big issue in my weight regain. the mind is a dangerous thing to have sometimes. Youve got this! :)
  • jonnymbu
    jonnymbu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks it's nice seeing someone that understands.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Long story short, my life exploded this year and I'm heavier than I'm ever been. I get it. You are not alone. We can do this one day at a time. 😊

*Non covid related bonus life explosions.... sigh.
  • fittwitt1972
    fittwitt1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im here to support you. I understand! Gaining the weight back after losing it is so depressing. I have always worked out, went to the gym although my diet has needed a good cleaning up the gym was my saving grace. Since Covid it's been a downward spiral. I'm afraid to weigh myself but clothes dont lie. I'm probally up a good 20pds. I were scrubs at work and I have 1 pair of pants that fit me I wear when I'm not at work. I'm depressed. Cant believe I let myself go. Have developed terrible eating habits. I need to alone myself with like minded people and just do what I know I need to do. Accountability comes from me not fitting in my clothes.
  • NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @jonnymbu, You've got this! Like you, I've had success losing weight in the past, but am finding that it is coming off more slowly this time around (maybe just because I'm getting older!)... progress is progress, though! All we can do is our best.

@fittwitt1972 , I totally avoided the scale all spring and summer, because I knew that I had spiraled out of control during lockdown! I got back on it in September, was shocked and saddened by the number, and decided it was time to change. Admittedly, I avoided the scale for much of December, but I'm back and ready to go! And for me, there's nothing more motivating that being able to fit back into clothes that are just waiting in my closet.

Here's to a great 2021! We can do it!

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,111 Member
    Options
    This year as well as fitness goals, I also have mental health goals. Well not "goals" so to speak as I can't say I'll be undepressed by March haha. But just tasks really to make sure I'm okay.
    So taking space if I need it, getting support, keeping on top of my meds, talking/venting, try to change my perspective on bad days and try see the good things etc.

If it's your mental health affecting your body health, then it only seems right to look after them both at the same time!
  • erosemiller314
    erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. For me, losing the weight is actually not too hard once I decide to do it. But twice now, I have lost a significant amount of weight (100+ lbs) kept it off for a year or two and then my world implodes for one reason or another and I gain it all back and then some. Maintaining the weight loss, long-term, even through the hard times is something I still have not figured out.

I totally understand where you are coming from and the struggle. I am not perfect in terms of staying motivated, but would love to add friends so we can support each other.