Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

9/11

2»

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I remember waking up to the radio alarm clock, it was some sports thing my husband likes to listen to. I was drifting back off when they mentioned a plane hitting on the Twin Towers. My husband and I were suddenly awake. At first we thought we had misheard them and it was probably *just* the anniversary of the first attack because the sport talk had continued. When they came back on to talk more about the Tower and there was no more sports talk we knew it was time to turn on the TV. I went to work that day and some of the women in the accounting department were watching the news coverage on some weird non-network channel which was showing very graphic footage of people leaping from the Towers. I will never forget that one of these women was laughing at the people falling. Everyone else was horrified, but she seemed to honestly find it funny that people would do that. She never stopped laughing at them even when her co-workers got mad at her. She steadfastedly believed it was funny. It was horrible and I gotta say when she was laid off four months later NO ONE cared. I'll never stop wondering what happened to that women and I'll never stop wondering if the horror of what she found amusing ever dawned on her.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    I do know that for a little while, we were the UNITED States of America. Everyone grieved together, cried together, and mourned together. Now we only stand united in remembrance of that day.

Nicely stated. Our current situation in terms of politics would do well to remember this!

very well said...i was in my western cov class in college, when a women walked in and said well world war 3 is starting. We all were like huh? then class was dismissed and everyone in the cafeteria was pulling out tvs and all surrounding them. I went home and watched it all day on the tv. It was such a sad day and i remeber it as if it was yesterday. I had a friend in my class whos father was suppose to be on one of the planes and he woke up late and missed his flight. such a scary day and i will forever remember it all. i still get teary eyed reading about it or just reading this thread
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    I had taken my dad to a Dr's appt and we watched it on tv in the office. He was a WWII vet.

After then 2nd plane hit, and we realized it was an attack, my dad looked at me and said: "well, I guess I'll have to re-enlist."

He was 82.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    I was up, getting ready for work, and I walked into the living room to catch what the news was reporting. I stood there for about 5 seconds, and I saw the second plane hit the second tower. The news reporters were shocked because they had initially thought the first plane was an accident, as did I. Chaos erupted.

Four years previously, I had stood at the top of tower one and gazed at the beauty and awesomeness of it all.

I'll never forget the sight of that second plane hitting the tower.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    24 graduates of my high school were killed and some family members barely escaped. I was burning angry for years. I am calmer now.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I was a sophomore in college. I remember talking to my b/f at the time and watching the news about the first plane going in. Then saw the 2nd one fly in. I couldn't believe my eyes.
    I ended up going to class and it was all we could talk about. The rest of my classes were then canceled for the day.
    I remember being very worried about my cousin who was in college at NYC near the towers. We couldn't get a hold of her until the next day.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    I had taken my dad to a Dr's appt and we watched it on tv in the office. He was a WWII vet.

After then 2nd plane hit, and we realized it was an attack, my dad looked at me and said: "well, I guess I'll have to re-enlist."

He was 82.

Of all of these posts, this one made me cry. Bless his heart!

What I remember of that day is that I woke up and just didn't feel right. I was visiting a friend, and needed to head home to go to class, but instead I tried to go back to sleep since I didn't feel well. I couldn't sleep, so I tooka shower and headed home. On my way home, I had the radio on and they were talking about it saying things like, "The worst tragedy" and "HUGE loss of life" and "NY will never be the same" etc. I listened for about 20 minutes before they finally said what had happened! I didn't have a cell phone so I couldn't call anyone to find out. I drove the entire hour and a half home, terrified more was coming. I live near a nuclear plant, and local news was saying that was a definite target. Everyone got sent home from school, the entire downtown closed. My roommate and I sat in silence for days, glued to the tv.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    I find it interesting to hear the responses of those who were children, now adults, I would say enjoy, but that's not quite the word for something such as this. I worked for a company that had transferred many employees from the new york area, watching them watch their home was the biggest effect on me.

I also worked near an airport, there was an eerie quiet the rest of that week with no planes flying in and out. It was about a year later when I switched to a position that I did a lot of flying, my first time going through the airport and flying after 9/11 was a huge eye opener that our world had changed. One lady did not want to remove her shoes, I really feared for her safety from the other passengers, everyone got very ugly and angry with her. Security finally took her out of the line and I think it was more for her safety than her lack of compliance.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Shock, Disbelief and wishing I was there to help! Wondering if anyone I knew was lost when the Towers fell; None were thank God! Just a feeling of helplessness. I grew up visiting the World Trade Center. I can remember leaning against them and looking upward. The buildings swayed in the wind and you could see them move; it was cool! Being on the observation deck was awesome; had a poster of the view in my room growing up!

Most of all, I felt helpless! But we must carry on!
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    I was sitting in an economics class. A secretary pulled our teacher out into the hallway, and then the teacher bolted back in and put on the TV. We sat there in disbelief. It was right after the 2nd plane hit. The entire class was hugging each other and crying.

Later that evening, my dad made me go put gas in my car just in case we ran out like the media said we might. When I was on my way home, Lee Greenwood came on the radio and I bawled my eyes out. I sat in my car in my driveway for a long long time before I could compose myself.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    I'm from NJ (NY Metro area - 10 miles outside of NYC) and it is still a little too painful to talk about. I began to write a posting to share what it was like, but it was pages long, and no one really wants to relive that.

What was on my mind that I did want to share is that we really need to bring our troops home and end this war. We have lost far more American lives (and others!) in this war than we did on 9/11.

My nephew is currently stationed in Afghanistan with the Marines. He already lost his best friend who died in action within a month of their first deployment.

May God keep our troops safe and bring them home soon!