Why are there so many problems with product information that is already in the database.

Options
Use case:
I scan in an EAN-code for turkey slice and input 9 grams.
Result I get is 3,766kJ (about 900kcal) and that it includes distribution of 18/35.1/126 grams of nutritions.

Probably before you read this line, you already know where's the problem, so why are all these in the database?

Bad data in, bad data out and bad data can't be turned into gems.
Or if contributions are encouraged over exactness, there should be a way to resolve all items that break the laws of nature, maybe just let them expire very quickly, as no one will get the benefit for 126grams of protein from 9 grams of turkey.

My vote would go into exact values over other values, but that may be because of my background.

And while I write this, How do I copy community contributed entry to my foods and add (correct) serving size to it?

Replies

• amarkula
    amarkula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think that's good way to move forward. Yet, in the future I see bigger haystack with multiple needles. I still think that incorrect data should be removed. Incorrect is easy to calculate. Feels weird bug/oversight after 15 years of developement.
  • amarkula
    Options
    @wilson10102018 You seem to have one of those critical minds.
    Have you found an perfect app, I would be interested, as this road I'm taking seems to have too many excursions.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    amarkula wrote: »
    @wilson10102018 You seem to have one of those critical minds.
    Have you found an perfect app, I would be interested, as this road I'm taking seems to have too many excursions.

You just have to look it up through Google first, then choose a database item that matches the truth. Pick that one and then it is your recent items.
  • amarkula
    Options
    Thanks for replies, but I guess I'll try another one next.
    First 200 days went without almost any excersice and still dropped about 8kg so it's good.
    But, I guess 200 days is also enough to see what are apps strong points and what need a bit of improvement.

Any recomendations for next 200?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Use case:
    I scan in an EAN-code for turkey slice and input 9 grams.
    Result I get is 3,766kJ (about 900kcal) and that it includes distribution of 18/35.1/126 grams of nutritions.

Probably before you read this line, you already know where's the problem, so why are all these in the database?

Bad data in, bad data out and bad data can't be turned into gems.
    Or if contributions are encouraged over exactness, there should be a way to resolve all items that break the laws of nature, maybe just let them expire very quickly, as no one will get the benefit for 126grams of protein from 9 grams of turkey.

My vote would go into exact values over other values, but that may be because of my background.

And while I write this, How do I copy community contributed entry to my foods and add (correct) serving size to it?

Exactly how are you "inputting 9 grams"? Are you assuming the serving size is a gram without checking it, and saying 9 servings?

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of bad entries in the database, but user error is always a possibility too.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, but I guess I'll try another one next.
    First 200 days went without almost any excersice and still dropped about 8kg so it's good.
    But, I guess 200 days is also enough to see what are apps strong points and what need a bit of improvement.

Any recomendations for next 200?

You could try Cronometer
  • amarkula
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You could try Cronometer

Thanks, I will.

...and did. This looks pretty promising.
  • amarkula
    Options
    Exactly how are you "inputting 9 grams"? Are you assuming the serving size is a gram without checking it, and saying 9 servings?
    I'm not saying there aren't a lot of bad entries in the database, but user error is always a possibility too.

I would like to have 1 serving of 9 grams of ham, please. If I make 2 sandwiches, then I'll take and type 2. And one day I'll have standardized my own sandwich and it will be perfect and glorious :D and eaten.

If I can not have that, I begin by selecting serving of 1 gram and 9 of those servings.

I mostly end up making own food items, after typing grams in few times. Mainly because ease of use is what make it a lot faster to log what ever I eat. I don't like to calculate, if I can count. -- Or I just take values directly from manufacturer's homepage If I don't have scale. Some even write how many slices should be in the package. (or I'll use goverment issued truthiness from https://fineli.fi/fineli/en/ )

btw, I say that user error is the most realistic way how "error" happends. Of course no one makes them, but still it is what's told to students when they begin their first labs.