What if the MyFitnessPal calories don't match the package, which do you use?

Options
0atmeel
0atmeel Posts: 168 Member
edited January 2021 in Food and Nutrition
8tfnbpgfeetv.jpg
I got a few items and the app calorie count is off from what the package says.nxfb6d1pt50d.jpg

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What the package says.
  • rissaloses
    rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Package count, always. Are you scanning the bar code, or manually searching?
  • 0atmeel
    edited January 2021
    Options
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    rissaloses wrote: »

January 2, 2021 9:54PM
    I search for it and if I see what I am looking for with a green checkmark, I use that. I can scan the barcode for this app?
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,055 Member
    Options
    I fix entries all the time. I always go off of the package.
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

I hate having to adjust my amount so the calories will be right lol.
  • MelG7777
    Options
    millerjr5 wrote: »

I don’t adjust the amount I actually correct the entry and then save it for myself. Lol. Otherwise it drives me insane!
  • 0atmeel
    Options

I don’t adjust the amount I actually correct the entry and then save it for myself. Lol. Otherwise it drives me insane!

I didn't know you could do that! Sweet!!! What other tips do you have?😋
  • MelG7777
    Options

Just go to the bottom and click on “report foods” and then this pops up.
    uny9gja1jus1.jpeg

Then you can change stuff. Just make sure you do this so you have it next time.
    rwf3wdykd632.jpeg
  • 0atmeel
    Options

Just go to the bottom and click on “report foods” and then this pops up.
    uny9gja1jus1.jpeg

Then you can change stuff. Just make sure you do this so you have it next time.
    rwf3wdykd632.jpeg

Awesome!!!!!!😊😊😊😁😁😁
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    In case you are wondering why, companies sometimes update labels as recipes, serving sizes, or regulations change.

Not that long ago, new regulations went into effect in the US for nutrition labels which included listing potassium and "added sugars" (along with other changes). Therefore, nearly all labels were updated in 2019 or 2020, and many of those also corrected calories and macros.

Nothing gets purged in the MFP database, therefore plenty of old entries are incorrect.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In case you are wondering why, companies sometimes update labels as recipes, serving sizes, or regulations change.

Not that long ago, new regulations went into effect in the US for nutrition labels which included listing potassium and "added sugars" (along with other changes). Therefore, nearly all labels were updated in 2019 or 2020, and many of those also corrected calories and macros.

Nothing gets purged in the MFP database, therefore plenty of old entries are incorrect.

This. And sometime people just add completely wrong information to the database. I commonly see that the calories per 100gr for many products correspond to the packaging calories per serving or per package. So it might happen that you enter 100gr of a product but get the calories for a package of 250gr, or a serving of 75gr.
  • ahclay
    ahclay Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Use the package! A lot of MFP calorie counts come from users, whom I don't always trust. The nutrients listed on packaged foods are government regulated and IMO more trusted.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    rissaloses wrote: »

this. scan it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    So I have run into the case where the package has one number and then when I scan the barcode it comes up with a different number. I use the bigger number
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    So I have run into the case where the package has one number and then when I scan the barcode it comes up with a different number. I use the bigger number
    There is rarely a case when any entry would be more accurate on here than the package. You should always use the package information.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    There is rarely a case when any entry would be more accurate on here than the package. You should always use the package information.

Yes, and to add to this, using the barcode doesn't change that -- it also can bring up wrong information. I also wouldn't assume green checkmark means something can be trusted. Usually, you can find an entry that matches your package information, and I would search for that or modify the entry as people discuss above.
  • MelG7777
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Another reason for caloric differentiation, imo, is foods from the same brand but sold in different countries. I've noticed some Canadian serving sizes (and sometimes micronutrients) are wonky.

When I check online at the company's official website (generally based in the USA if we're talking about processed foods), the entered MFP entry is right...for Americans 🤷🏿‍♀️

I’ll bet you’re right! I always assume the company must have changed something but that makes sense.