Issues with binge eating

Options
Hello everyone.
I just joined up and I have tired many other weight lose websites. I've heard many good things about mfp.

I was just wondering if many people here have a problem with binge eating.

I had anorexia as a teen. Now as an adult I binge eat.

I'm confused about what to do. Like I can't find a happy middle.
Last year I managed to lose 30 pounds but I have gained a lot of it back.

If anyone has any tips or tricks when it comes to handling there binge eating. Anything would be helpful.

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Food is a gift. My mother-in-law prepares every meal as if it were a feast. She is so grateful for having something to eat, that she plans her meals carefully, spends a lot of time preparing them, pores over recipes, and brings everything to the table so that it is so totally delicious.

My mother-in-law was a refugee. When they first arrived in Northern Saskatchewan, just as winter was setting in, a farmer gave them enough potatoes to last them for a winter. It was a good thing that the rabbits were plentiful that year, and easy to trap because that was all they had. After a few months, my mother-in-law was sent to work as a hired girl, just so that she would have food to eat. She was never to go back to school. That is why she never took food for granted. When you have experienced not having enough, having plenty makes it a sacred gift.

So the question is, how can you achieve that kind of spirituality towards food? Have you tried growing some? Even a pot or two in the window? Have you taken cooking courses? Pored over cookbooks? Sought out articles on eating in different countries?

We all want to lose weight, but that means controlling the portions. There is nothing that says that what we eat can't be wonderfully good. Maybe to clue to binge eating is to really learn how much of a pleasure eating can be.
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do love cooking. I just tend to have a hard time finding time to make what I want to make. Then possibly using that excuse to over eat on junk. Growing some food would be an interesting experience.
  • Taintedkitten
    Options
    Welcome to the site.

When I was a teen, I was kicked out of home at 14, and then struggling money wise. As a result I was skinny because I didn't eat. When I did go on dates or whatever, I ate whatever I wanted. I would just lose it anyway because I didn't eat much.

When I met my bf, he was a hugely unhealthy eater, and I just kept on eating whatever he brought. Fast foods were the main thing. I scoffed my face because I wasn't used to having yummy foods like I was getting (note unhealthy foods too!).

I have now gained over 20 kgs since then in two years.

It's been really difficult for me to limit my portions as a result of that, and also I have a really bad habit of eating way too quickly. This site has been brilliant for me! I have turned a new leaf, and though I only joined a week ago, I have lost two kgs, and I'm happy because usually when I lost weight after a break up or whatever, my weight plummeted far too quickly because of me eating, so two kgs in one week and eating properly, I feel good about myself.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Personally I find planning my meals reduces the temptation to binge. I try to do one big grocery shopping a week. I sit down for half an hour on a Sunday and plan my dinner for each night and plan my lunches to take to work and a few healthy snacks. I then write a list of all the things I need to buy and buy only those items when I go shopping. I usually swap meals between days depending on my schedule that week but I tend to find if I have something planned then I stick to it. On days the fridge is empty I'm much more likely to order a takeaway pizza and pick up some beer while I'm waiting on it.
    Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it works for you. You'll be amazed how much money it saves you too by avoiding spontaneous trips to the supermarket several times a week.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your story is just like mine. I have no idea how I changed - but it's only been in the past month. I essentially cut out all things that I would be tempted to binge on, because I can't do anything in moderation it seems. I also force myself to work out daily. It helps a lot, because I'm less likely to binge eat before I work out because I don't want to have to work out on a full stomach, and I'm less likely to binge eat after I work out because I've worked out so hard!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    yup :/ i've gained about 50 pounds a year since i turned 18. trying hard to control it, been having horrible cravings lately tho D:

btw, i'm not surprised that your anorexia turned into binge eating- whenever i've tried to stop, my immediate response is to obsessively count calories and not eat enough :( i think they're more similar than most people think