Protein Shakes

Options
Hi everyone! I went to a zumba benefit tonight and I won free protein shake mix. I've never used protein shakes before so I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about them. I do mainly cardio, I don't lift weights. The lady said something about using it as a meal replacement so I was thinking about having one in the morning for breakfast.

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Depending on its ingredients, it may be high in carbs, or it may have only a few grams. If it's got plenty of carbs, then you could use it as a meal replacement. If it's low in carbs, I'd take it with some low fat milk and some fruit i.e. banana, strawberries, etc.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    It would best serve you after you finish your cardio followed by a whole food meal a couple hours later. A regular protein shake does not have a complete nutritional profile to serve as a true meal replacement. If you have it with some fruit or mixed nuts then your good.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just looked and it has 4g of carbs and 2g of fat.
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    Make sure what type it is, some are for weight gain for body builders. protein drinks depending on the brand are tasty and a good thing to drink after working out. They are high in amino acids that help your muscles heal faster. Also they can give you a full feeling so you may be able to go without a meal or eat less.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How much protein is in it?
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    If you tell us the brand we can advise you on how to drink that one best.
  • sheriinco
    Options
    Having a protein shake as a meal replacement for breakfast works very well for helping me lose (or maintain) my weight. I make mine with diet clear soda (like 7 Up), a couple of frozen strawberries (I buy a large bag at Costco), several frozen blueberries, about 1/2 cup of ice. Lately, I've also been adding some Benefiber since I don't get enough fiber. I mix this all in my blender. It helps me to control my carb and sugar cravings if I have low carbs.
  • vonnie_loves_jesus
    Options
    I make several kinds of shakes...I like Jillian Michaels vanilla shake mix blended with frozen berries and almond milk and I also make one with 4oz Greek yogurt,milled flax seed,almond milk ( always unsweetened),frozen berries..I use stevia as a sweetener with both and ice. You can add oats, cocoa powder,peanut butter,bananas...so many choices. Play with it and count everything you put in. Hope this helps! :tongue:
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's called smart smoothie.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Jay Robb brand of chocolate protein powder. Love it! I make a peanut butter, chocolate, banana shake every morning for breakfast..It's quick, easy, and keep me full until my break for a snack.

1 cup ice
    1/2 banana (either fresh or frozen..if frozen, no need to add ice)
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    1/2 tbsp peanut butter

You can change amounts if you want.. I just happen to use this formula.. 250 calories..

Sounds gross and I too was very skeptical..One day I decided to try it and I was hooked.. LOVE IT.. by far the best and almost sinful. Give it a try
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I'm going to give that a try. How many grams of protein are in the Jay Robb brand?