Starting over...looking for help

Hello everyone. Here I am. Again.

Lets see....Since 2008, I have been 315 lbs then down to 180 lbs then up to 250 lbs for a while then up to 371 lbs then down to 260 lbs and now I'm back up to 365 when I started over on January 1st. At each stage I would gain or lose quickly and then hover at the weight (whether high or low) for a couple years.

I know I can lose the weight. Obviously since I have previously lost over 100 lbs twice! But I feel like I must be insane. How do I work so hard to lose the weight, only to screw it up a year or two later and gain it back. Multiple times!!

So not only am I "yo-yoing" with my weight loss/gain but I feel like, because its so extreme, everyone can SEE it. My family, the people I work with, everyone sees me losing weight and congratulates me and then see me gaining weight and politely look away.

I know in the times that I am gaining, it is very much related to emotional trauma, depression, and things happening in my life at the time. There's always been something to trigger the "I no longer care" response. But I can't keep doing that. I have to do better.

Is there anyone out there who can relate? Or am I totally nuts.....

Anyone want to be friends on MFP?

Replies

• Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    OH I hear you. Mine may not be as extreme but I understand the yoyoing, depression, and all of the things in between. Feel free to add me and send a message. We can be accountability buddies
  • deniseday741
    deniseday741 Posts: 1 Member
    I can totally relate. I had lost weight and then life hit me hard. I gained it all back and more. Unfortunately, I'm not a self motivator so it's been hard to get back on track. My lightbulb turned on and I'm determine to do this journey. Please add me!
  • Bellamo69
    Bellamo69 Posts: 15 Member
    Hello... I've been there and done that too! I have always been overweight , but after watching my son get as big as me we both made changes to get off the weight. I was at 324 and lost 97 lbs by end of 2014. What I have realized is I eat my emotions and after hard personal life challenges my weight was up & down over the last few years. But last year was hard and now I'm at 294 & over 50 and feeling all my body pains and have to focus on my best me for my health. Your not nuts! I just know that mindset is key to success that I have to remind myself daily. Love to be friends :)
  • Illusions20
    Illusions20 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi!
    Yes you can do it and no you are not alone!
    I had lost weight but with the pandemic the pounds found their way back to me.
    Feel free to add me!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I don't think it really matters how many pounds a person loses and regains. It is a problem for all of us. So, you're not a lone.. you just feel sensitive and think it matters more because the weight gain number is larger. But the bottom line is we all lose and regain again and again...the problem is not unique to you. .it is prolific! So, cut yourself a break.

Maybe seek some kind of professional advice.. from a book or podcast.. or I you can engage a life coach or professional to talk with ..that could be a good idea.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    You might enjoy the podcast Half Size Me. She talks about yo-yoing quite a bit, and how to maintain weight loss.
  • erosemiller314
    erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement!
    You might enjoy the podcast Half Size Me. She talks about yo-yoing quite a bit, and how to maintain weight loss.

Thanks! I will check it out!!
  • MissSass2
    MissSass2 Posts: 29 Member
    I'm back too. I did MFP back in 2018 and lost 50. Life took many turns for me and the weight is back and then some. So now I am back and going to do this again. I did it before now I can do it again. We can motivate each other!