HELP im scared...

Options
Im running a 5 k in the morning and for some reason im scared. Im going to bed early. But is there anything i should be doing and what should i eat tomorrow morning. Race is at 8:15 am.

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I'm not a runner AT ALL! However, my brother-in-law competes in several long-distance races a year, and he ALWAYS eat pretty much just pasta the day before and they day of - I think it provides him with the energy to get through it!?!

Get your proper rest tonight, try not to stress about it, and just do your best tomorrow!

Best of Luck! ;)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would maybe try to calm down with a little tea and read a little before you try to go to sleep. What time do you have to be there for registration? I would plan on getting there a little early, depending on the race size, parking might be difficult. I had a power bar energy in my pocket to eat while we were waiting for the race to start, but I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat it. I just had some water and then after the race they had bananas, bagels, powerade, soft pretzels, pizza, hot dogs and beer! It was crazy. I went for the banana, soft pretzel and powerade! I can't usually eat right away after waking up so I knew I would feel sick and full if I tried to eat something first. ENJOY IT!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Hey, if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger... :D
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You should eat normally for a 5k. Just make sure you eat. Some type of carb and some protein is a good choice. Don't be scared, it's going to be great! Good luck!
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just have fun. I try to walk several 5 Ks a year and look forward to them.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Did you check under your bed for werewolves? Can't forget that.
  • sosayscyndi
    sosayscyndi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 5k in a few weeks. Anything you learn, please pass my way. I am already terrified! You are going to be awesome, though:)
  • melmarler
    Options
    My first 5k is tomorrow too. I am so excited but a little nervous. Let's both take a deep breath and remind ourselves that we trained for this and we got this.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It startsat 8:15. But i all ready signed up.
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You definately want to eat a good breakfast with some protein, like maybe some eggs and whole wheat toast. The combination of the carb and protein will keep you full for the run and give you a lasting energy. Dont forget your vitamins and your water. it's not about finishing first, its about finishing, even if you have to walk it. Dress comfortable but not in clothes that will trip you up, like long pants or baggy shirt. You should be fine.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either, but pasta is what my friends eat. Why do you think you are scared? Is it a race or a run? Do you feel like you have to come in first; or are you just in it to complete a 5K? If it's the latter; just run it the best you can and enjoy it. It doesn't matter how long it takes then. Get your rest tonight and have a fun time; you will be great!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat. Don't try to do anything fancy with your food intake before a race. Your stomach may hate you for it later.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Make love to your husband tonight to release the tension.Eat a very light breakfast no later 1 hour before the run. Just have fun.

Life is too short to stress out.

• babybluz33
    babybluz33 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

The above post has some really great information. Most of it is irrelevant since it is the night before, but keep it for next time. Be sure you drink lots of water tonight and tomorrow morning. Good luck, you'll be great! Have fun!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of making a protein shake and put a banana in it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    no need for pasta, you're only doing 3 miles. :wink:

You can do this! :heart:

My best advice is to get someone posted at the finish line because you're going to want to enjoy a picture of your victory!
    Have fun, and keep pushing, it's going to be FUN!
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A hot shower, a few candles, some tea and a book. Sounds like you've worked yourself up to believing that 5k is a long ways. It's only 3 miles. That's less than 45 minutes worth of work, even if you walk it at a moderate pace. No need to "carb-up" like it's an endurance race, just maybe eat some oatmeal for breakfast and drink a little more water than normal. You'll be fine.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm running my second 5k on Sunday. Hydrate really well tonight and in the morning. Eat something light, like a banana before the race. You don't want to be full before the race. Stretch really well before you run. I was nervous at first too but once I saw the crowd of runners, I became excited. Have fun! :)
  • LENAhall
    LENAhall Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    CALM DOWN! that is step one!!! :)
    good luck tomorrow!!
    if this is your first 5k, think of it as a practice run, or a starting point. any and all runs from now on will be an improvement on your time, endurance, etc. you are setting your baseline, if you will.
    for breakfast in the morning i would have some egg whites, toast, a banana. i personally don't drink coffee (some people do!) b/c i have no tolerance for a sloshing bladder!! lol
    get there early, take a bathroom break, chat, calm the nerves...
    and most of all, ENJOY the run! appreciate that your body is taking you 3.1 miles!!! and be proud that you have motivated yourself to do it!!!
    LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It startsat 8:15. But i all ready signed up.

You already have your race number and timing device then?