bought dumbbells and i feel guilty for buying them

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Those dumbbells will be a great investment if you use them :smile:
    I have several different ones for my home gym, have done a couple of recomps since hitting maintenance 7 years ago - I'm a cardio bunny by nature but since August have been doing strength training consistently and making great progress - makes me wonder why I stop doing strength training at times!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't know if this is helpful for you in terms of the price, but here goes: my husband and I have a guideline that any purchased item is worth the price if it comes down to less than 1€ per hour it's used. For this purpose, let's pretend 1€ equals 1£.This applies to clothes (my wedding dress was a terrible investment in these terms), computers and gadgets, and other household items. If you use those dumbbells regularly, say, 3 times a week for two years for 30 minutes at a time, the cost will end up at under 1£ per hour used. Not to mention those dumbbells probably last in good use for longer time than that, and you can probably sell them from a decent price if you decide they weren't the right solution for you.

On top of this, though, if you were able to afford them and they contribute to your health in a positive way, it's a worthy investment no matter what the price was.
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    i only feel gulity bc of the price they’re so expensive 😭

You're investing into your health, totally worth the cost.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    All sports kit costs a bomb right now - if you can get it at all. And those weight ranges are the hardest to come by. So well done on getting hold of them and enjoy using them x
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2021
    Don't feel guilty. Staying at home during a pandemic to work out is contributing to society in a big way. Dumbells are awesome. Look up Hasfit on YouTube for workouts. Coach Kozak and Claudia will murder you (in a good way!)

Plus having your own equipment is cheaper than the gym in the long run😊
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2021
    I totally get the money thing but the way that I look at it is ....

150 euros is around 180 us dollars

180 / 365 days in a year = ~.50/day

I don't know you buuuut, I think your worth it :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @trulyhealy If you truly <3 have buyer's remorse and it's not been over 30 days they might take them back. You choose what your budget can afford. Happy New Year, @trulyhealy. Take care now.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    It’s money well spent as long as you use them. I got myself 2 pair of 40lb adjustable dumbbells last March when they closed our gym, and use them almost every day. I added an incline/decline bench in September and don’t miss the machines.

It’s an investment in yourself. It’s a bargain compared to the price of a gym.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    maybe it's not the cheapest thing ever but if I could choose one thing from my "home gym equipment" to keep it would be my dumbbells.. one of my pairs is 10+ years old at this point and they get a lot of use - these things (most anyway) last a very long time! also so many things you can do with them
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2021
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    All sports kit costs a bomb right now - if you can get it at all. And those weight ranges are the hardest to come by. So well done on getting hold of them and enjoy using them x

Yeah, you can't even get them here. I wanted heavier dumbbells, but nowhere has them. I'm jealous.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member

i think i got scammed bc it’s supposed to come tomorrow but they haven’t said that it’s own it’s way and it’s from ebay 😭
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    i only feel gulity bc of the price they’re so expensive 😭

I spent £400 on an elliptical during first lockdown as we were sheilding and I didn't know how long we would be indoors for

In the end its been worth the money as I've made it to the gym literally for 4 weeks this year, we are back in sheilding but my weight loss and fitness was on track until just before Christmas (took a pause to get over covid)

The money was worth it to my family too, my kids need a healthy mum to keep up with and take care of them

I also bought adjustable weights in June for added strength training since I want to be strong and capable when I'm older
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    i just spend £150 on 4 dumbbells (2x10kg 2x5kg)

i feel guilty bc it was so expensive but i bought them bc gyms are on lockdown for at least a month probably longer but has anyone had good success with at home dumbbell workouts?

at the gym i do both dumbbells and machines but i feel like the machines are more effective? idk

Free weights have advantages that machines do not:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/weight-training/faq-20058479

...Free weights are versatile and inexpensive. They also simulate real-life lifting situations and promote whole-body stabilization. Free weights are generally safe when used with the proper technique. But it may take some practice to get used to lifting with free weights, and it's essential to use proper technique.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    be happy - enjoy them.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    @trulyhealy I’ve been following your posts for months.

I wish you could “hear” your posts as a casual reader hears them.

So much guilt, over food, money, overeating, underworking.

I wish I knew how to reach out to you and hug it all out of you. My family were travel agents for guilt trips, and crushing spirits was a blood sport. I would not wish that on anyone. It’s a hell of a life. Listen to me, reading stuff into random posts.

I’m very glad you’re focusing on yourself, and hope you will learn to love, appreciate, and be kind to yourself. You earned that the day you were born.

You’re a beautiful young lady, so well spoken, too. The sky is the limit. So much potential. I see and hear that, too, and I’m so happy you’re reaching out.

I’m sorry if I read too much into your posts and come off as a nosy, interfering old biddy, but just know someone out here in Internet land cares for and worries about you.

^ This :heart:
    Guilty is me: after one too many glasses of wine, I got the great idea to order roller skates to join my 24 year old daughter. A week after Christmas and I'm buying myself a present?? I'd better use them... :blush:
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member

i think i got scammed bc it’s supposed to come tomorrow but they haven’t said that it’s own it’s way and it’s from ebay 😭

You can message the seller within the Ebay app and ask them for an update (whether it's been shipped or not). Maybe there is an explanation?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

You can message the seller within the Ebay app and ask them for an update (whether it's been shipped or not). Maybe there is an explanation?

That, or they may have been sent but the postal service is so chaotic right now that it may take a bit. If the seller says they've been sent then you'll probably have to be patient. It may take a little longer than usual. I wouldn't just assume the worst right away...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member

That, or they may have been sent but the postal service is so chaotic right now that it may take a bit. If the seller says they've been sent then you'll probably have to be patient. It may take a little longer than usual. I wouldn't just assume the worst right away...

Yeah, all the postal services where I live are experiencing delays and backlogs with more people ordering online in general combined with the holidays. It will probably just take a little longer than expected.
  • MandyCMN
    MandyCMN Posts: 17 Member
    Please don’t feel guilty for buying something you want if ur going to use them. I do Les Mills on Demand online workouts and I love them. Only £12 per month for unlimited workouts. I haven’t bought overly priced goods to assist with this and bought elsewhere what I can afford. Enjoy what u buy and spend ur money wisely and stop feelin guilty it’s ur choice.