I resolve to track daily

Options
Even if I don’t like to admit how much I ate.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've read advice from more than a few who say just track at first for a few weeks. Just to educate yourself on how much you've been eating on a regular bases. Somehow that lays a good foundation when you set your deficit and you move forward with more knowledge and have success. Best of luck to you. Happy New year!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What an excellent resolution!!!

When I did this, I found that I naturally started self-correcting. I saw which foods didn't serve me well, either did not keep me full or were not worth the calories. I started replacing them with foods that did serve me better. It's a slower process than just changing your diet all at once, but more sustainable in the long term.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I felt the same way about tracking. I'm now 65 days of tracking everyday, the good and the bad. Now it's habit for me for sure.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It made a world of difference to me! You have to be 100% honest though.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I log everything, good bad and ugly. You could get calorie whiplash flipping through my diary.

Thanksgiving to New Years was particularly rough, because I missed family for the holidays. But I knew what I was doing, gave myself permission to eat it all on some days while not on others, and was firm with myself that I would restart eating within goal every day again.

Being able to refer to various periods, compare dates, see trends, and have the data points to work from has been pure gold for weight loss. Can’t do that without thorough and honest logging.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm going to track everything too, been at it for 5 days now and I like to see what works. The way I see it, if I don't put everything in, then I won't get real information back out. Also, some days worked out well food-wise so I'll be able to go back and duplicate it. That will help me with planning and shopping.

I hope you have ongoing success over the next few weeks. We are building good habits and moving toward our goals. That is something to feel good about.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking for 150 days now. I am honest and track the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes I will track something before I eat it, - the shock value of seeing it tracked can make me decide I don't really want it.
  • Emily3119
    Emily3119 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I busted out the food scale this morning so definitely going to try and be more aware. Previous go-arounds on MFP I was usually eyeballing everything and I know I was overeating. Here with you! :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can lie to yourself but your body knows the truth LOL

some people find they are more honest if they keep their diary private. Others find the accountability of knowing someone could look at their diary motivation to monitor more closely. Mine is public (or at least to friends, I can never remember what setting I have it on) simply because I don't care what other people think of what I eat, and I like to show people (if they want to look) that you can eat normal foods and still lose weight.

note: if you look right now, please know we spent the past 2 days looking for one of our livestock guardian dogs who got out, so not the greatest. the logging is not right at all. but before that its right LOL
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    More importantly, did you find the dog?!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    More importantly, did you find the dog?!

WE DID! finally! <3

This is the jerkhole who got out LOL (Hagrid)

3gqpg49aya2w.jpg
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hagrid is beautiful!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It helps me so much to log everything, even when it's ugly. It's almost kind of like sticker shock, haha.