Always going over on protein..

Options
I am fairly new to this and loving it! I am sticking to the calories and exercise but the one thing i regularly go over on is protein. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I know protein is good for you but i didn't know how much is too much. Thank you!
Dee

Replies

• dee85
    dee85 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am fairly new to this and loving it! I am sticking to the calories and exercise but the one thing i regularly go over on is protein. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I know protein is good for you but i didn't know how much is too much. Thank you!
    Dee
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am not sure the answer to your question, but I find on most days I am also over on my protein, but sticking within calories, fat, and carbs.
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things are you eating to make your protein go over?
  • mackenzie_b
    Options
    you cant go wrong with too much protein!!
  • dee85
    dee85 Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat sandwiches for lunch and meat at dinner, sometimes eggs in the morning. I usually stay within my calories though.
  • stahlight
    stahlight Posts: 119
    Options
    general purpose response:

protein will convert to fat if unused. (from my old fitness trainer)

So if you're going over, make sure you're doing sufficient resistance training or weightlifting to burn it.

Otherwise, cut back on the protein.

Another rule of thumb from a book called the abs diet:

Eat carbs at a 3:1 ratio to protein, ensuring enough energy to properly process the protein.

:drinker:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am always over on protein too! From what I've read, nothing to worry about.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

So if you're going over, make sure you're doing sufficient resistance training or weightlifting to burn it.

Eat carbs at a 3:1 ratio to protein, ensuring enough energy to properly process the protein.

with respect...protein cannot turn into fat....it is adiffernt substance altogether...you can take in too much protein tho and it taxes the kidneys but with activity...most will be excreted in the urine
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

with respect...protein cannot turn into fat....it is adiffernt substance altogether...you can take in too much protein tho and it taxes the kidneys but with activity...most will be excreted in the urine

You're both a little off actually LOL :wink:

Some amino acids can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, so some excess protein will be used for glucose production. They can also be converted to acetyl CoA which is used in fat production. Everything can be used for fat production and glucose production. It's protein that can't be synthesized in the body without excess nitrogen, which comes from amino acids. So it's actually protein that can't be produced from anything else, which is why we have to make sure to eat enough.

That said, overall, we're not going to gain fat in a caloric deficit.

(Proteinuria really only occurs in people with abnormal renal function. It can occur in extreme endurance athletes, but if a general person were to experience it, it'd be cause for concern. Not due to high protein intake.)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Some amino acids can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, so some excess protein will be used for glucose production. They can also be converted to acetyl CoA which is used in fat production. Everything can be used for fat production and glucose production. It's protein that can't be synthesized in the body without excess nitrogen, which comes from amino acids. So it's actually protein that can't be produced from anything else, which is why we have to make sure to eat enough.

(Proteinuria really only occurs in people with abnormal renal function. It can occur in extreme endurance athletes, but if a general person were to experience it, it'd be cause for concern. Not due to high protein intake.)

You're my new favorite person! :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Awe, thanks! It looks like we have a lot of common interests! :drinker:

I want to teach physiology, but not to high school kids. :laugh: I worked with the boy scouts this summer and MAN, 13 year old boys are rowdy! I want to teach college level. You are braver than I am.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    The carb-fat-protein ratio of MFP is not a must but rather a best guide to what you should consume in a day. I've seen people write the protein allowance is very low on MFP and they changed their ratio lowering the carbs a bit and increasing the protein without having problems losing their weight because of it. If you know what you are doing and you feel you need your protein you could change the ratio too so the negative number won't upset you.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Awe, thanks! It looks like we have a lot of common interests! :drinker:

I want to teach physiology, but not to high school kids. :laugh: I worked with the boy scouts this summer and MAN, 13 year old boys are rowdy! I want to teach college level. You are braver than I am.

Yeah, I have a new respect for teachers for sure. I really want to teach sports med at a college. It'd be SO awesome to have an entire class of people interested in what I'm saying instead of like 3 and then 25 others who are there for credit. BLAH!:grumble:

I might try to do a double masters in Physical Therapy and Sports Med. We'll see.....
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I actually got to teach my Anatomy and Physiology course last semester...it was SO COOL. I taught about the renal system. I tutored a couple hours before each exam too, and now I am hooked. I loooove teaching.

I wish now that I had done sports med instead of exercise science, because then I would have chem and physics under my belt and wouldn't be making up for lost time now for grad school. :tongue: Ah well, nothing I can do now but keep on learning. :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I actually got to teach my Anatomy and Physiology course last semester...it was SO COOL. I taught about the renal system. I tutored a couple hours before each exam too, and now I am hooked. I loooove teaching.

I wish now that I had done sports med instead of exercise science, because then I would have chem and physics under my belt and wouldn't be making up for lost time now for grad school. :tongue: Ah well, nothing I can do now but keep on learning. :smile:

See now when I got my BA in Kinesio we didn't have to do Chem/Phys so I was in the same boat with you. I needed them both for pre-reqs for PT school. I about threw a party when I was done with a year and a half of chemistry!!!:drinker: