Protein and calories

Options
Is it possible to get 70g of protein in on a 900 calorie diet?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sure. Protein has 4 calories per gram, so 70 grams of protein would be just 280 calories. The real problem is that leaves you just 620 calories for everything else. So you'd be meeting your protein goals, but almost certainly failing to meet the rest of your nutritional goals.

Also, unless you're in a very specific and urgent situation, 900 calories is way, way less than you need to run your body. So even if you somehow managed to figure out a way to meet your nutritional needs, you'd be shorting yourself on the energy you need just to keep your heart beating, your hormones in sync, and your nerves firing.
  • bugintn
    bugintn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I have a lot of pounds to lose, the RD actually recommended 500 calories to start with 70-90 grams of protein. Nothing else on the other macros. I can’t seem to find a good balance of protein without going over the fat numbers. I do have to take vitamins and have blood work every 6 mos. I am not an athlete, but do strength and basic cardio so I doubt I overwork the amount I take in.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It seems like you'd basically need to eat chicken breast and non-starchy vegetables...
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    bugintn wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies. I have a lot of pounds to lose, the RD actually recommended 500 calories to start with 70-90 grams of protein. Nothing else on the other macros. I can’t seem to find a good balance of protein without going over the fat numbers. I do have to take vitamins and have blood work every 6 mos. I am not an athlete, but do strength and basic cardio so I doubt I overwork the amount I take in.

WHAT?! You sure this person is a legit registered dietitian?
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If that is correct that dr is a cruel person. I don't care how many lbs you have to lose that is insane and you won't be able to keep it up which will cause you to binge and gain more on top of what you are already looking to lose. What is your health? Are you active at all or bed ridden?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    bugintn wrote: »

What? You should report them to the governing body! That's extremely unhealthy, especially if done without medical supervision! Ditch them and find another one, really.