Does the calorie deficit work?

I was just informed by a family member who was a bikini body builder and is now a nurse that my using my fitness pal would not work "in the long run" because not all calories are the same and being in a calorie deficit won't matter unless you eat 6 times a day to increase metabolism. And told me that increasing metabolism is basically the only way to lose weight of keep weight off.

This happened to happen during a hard day in my " suck period" I have been using my fitness pal for about a month and have got a plateau. I am trying to be patient but this hit very hard for me.

Anyone know if she is right, if not why (got any good insights or sources, I like to be reassured with facts)

Replies

• nicolewalter16
    nicolewalter16 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2021
    I have logged everything with a scale as accuratrly as possible.

I am always under my calories on MFP. Sometimes I dip into exercise calories as tracked by my fit bit device but usually not by much.

Lots of people on here have said a plateau or "suck period" was a thing. Is it not a thing? I haven't lost any weight since last Friday 😧

Yes I did make one other post, as I said it has been a hard week.
  • nicolewalter16
    So as I lose weight I will need to adjust MFP, it won't just adjust on its own and I enter updated weights?

How often do I need to do this when I lose 20 lbs or more?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    So as I lose weight I will need to adjust MFP, it won't just adjust on its own and I enter updated weights?

How often do I need to do this when I lose 20 lbs or more?

No it doesn't adjust on it's own, so yes you can adjust it yourself as you go, every 20lbs or so should be fine. Also keep in mind as you get closer to goal, you should reduce the rate at which you're losing weight.

• nicolewalter16
    How do I adjust MFP?

Also thank you for suggesting Libra, I really like it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    From the web - adjust from Goals> View Guided Setup and enter your current weight/chosen rate of loss.

From the app - Side Menu>Goals>Update the relevant sections.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    A "plateau" is when we are eating at, or above maintenance. It's that simple. We'd
    consistently shrink if we were in a consistent caloric deficit.
  • nicolewalter16
    @tinkerbellang83 I don't understand exactly what to change in the goals menu. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Do I need to update my current weight (which does update automatically) to be my starting weight? Otherwise my goal weight is still the same
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited January 2021
    @tinkerbellang83 I don't understand exactly what to change in the goals menu. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Do I need to update my current weight (which does update automatically) to be my starting weight? Otherwise my goal weight is still the same

What works for me is to choose a different weight loss rate and activity level, confirm, and then switch back to the ones you want and confirm again.
  • tinkerbellang83

Yes just tap into the weight and it will tell you it's recalulating your goals. If you have a lot to lose, it's really not going to make much difference for now, it'll just be a minor change to your calorie intake.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member

That's the rate of weight loss. You want to lose 40lbs? Then a rate of weight loss would probably be around 1-1.5lbs per week. Just play with the settings and see how many calories mfp gives you for each option. If you get 1200 calories then you've chose a too high number.