Soda

Options
Anyone addicted to soda? I am having a hard time kicking it

Replies

• MonRos318
    MonRos318 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love soda... thats why I dont buy it,. First so I dont have temptation in my house, second so I dont allow soda to become a habit of my children. They have accustomed themselves to water---and they are happy with it! I also limit them to no more then 2 cups of juice a day. All their fruit needs come from the fruit itself.
  • mimi2anj
    Options
    Have you ever tried Fresca?? I enjoy it very much, it has the fizz of a soda without everything else
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I cut out all soda, including diet soda, and it makes a big difference to how I feel-- I think it contributes to sugar cravings (even the FAKE sweeteners). Plus, there's the pancreatic cancer risk:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/news/20100208/pancreatic-cancer-linked-sodas
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Anyone addicted to soda? I am having a hard time kicking it

I switched to Coffee.... All the caffeine without all the evil chemicals of diet or sugar of regular ... the I slowly used less and less sugar in my coffee.

I say attack one addiction at a time.
    I was going to wean myself off of the coffee, but I've been hearing about health benefits of 1-2 cups a day. So maybe not...

Good Luck
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks are addicted. You might try searching the boards to see how some folks cope. I've seen everything from cutting it out cold turkey to weaning slowly using substitutes. Most have definite opinions about soda. I think you need to decide what works for you. Personally, I'm an occasional kinda girl. I'm also particular about kinds - diet Coke or Mountain Dew, but regular rootbeer or cream soda.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Still drinkin my 20oz Dr Pepper, but every other day. Slowly weening myself off of it.
  • lsmith715
    lsmith715 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted to soda. I decided on July 18th to stop drinking soda. It was a date I will remember for the rest of my life. As a child I only drank soda. NO water. So as an adult I am finding it hard to drink water. I never aquired a taste for it. It has actually been easier kicking it than I thought. I started drinking Propel water. That kind of tastes like kool aid, but it doesnt have the calories. when we go out to eat I will drink iced tea or an water. It seems hard, but it gets easier.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Have you ever tried Fresca?? I enjoy it very much, it has the fizz of a soda without everything else

Isn't Fresca is just another diet soda? In the 70s I was surprised to find out it had caffeine. I'm pretty sure it has artificial sweeteners too... I don't see the difference.

Okay I just did some research online It DOES NOT have caffeine anymore.

But it does have Glycerol Ester of Wood Rosin... Yum!
    (I'm sorry I'm such a buzz kill)

Here is their website you can click on PRODUCT and mouse over each of the cans for the nutritional info

http://www.fresca.com/flash_content/index.jsp?guest=no
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Finds, i cant give up soda totally, but have now got into the habit, Of drinking 750mls of water, before i look at one, have one, then when thats finished, I again go back to drinking another 750mls of water. I manage to drink my 8 glasses of water a day, and still fit in maybe 2 - 3 cans of soda. I havent cut it totally out, yet. Im sure i will in time.

but this works for me, for the moment.
  • TexasMamaTwo
    TexasMamaTwo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!! I had to knock it down to one or none a day when I was pregnant with my first. I had just started drinking it again when we found out #2 was on her way. Since I breastfed her, I had to keep my caffeine intake very low and that helped to curb my addiction. I'm now at 1 a day...on a rare occasion it will be two. I've learned to drink water and enjoy it. I think the fact that I was forced to keep it down was the kick I needed otherwise my consumption would still be crazy! I wouldn't deprive myself of it though. That would make trying to "quit" harder!

Good Luck!

Shannon
  • shawnsasylum
    Options
    Ugg, Iove Coke Zero. I need to kick it but having a hard time. Any suggestions?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ANY soda at all since June 2nd, but I would almost kill for an ice cold Dr. Pepper!!!! :(

I have to do stuff "cold turkey" or I can't do it.
  • reignjonas
    reignjonas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've started limiting myself to one can of diet soda per day (or a once-in-awhile no- or low-calorie energy drink). I currently have approximately two 12-packs between four different kinds of diet sodas in my fridge and after they're gone I'm not going to buy anymore. Do you like carbonated flavored waters? That might be a good substitute. Idk if that's any better than diet soda though (except for the lack of caffeine).
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Ugg, Iove Coke Zero. I need to kick it but having a hard time. Any suggestions?

At the risk of being redundant...

I switched to Coffee.... All the caffeine without all the evil chemicals of diet or sugar of regular ... the I slowly used less and less sugar in my coffee.

I say attack one addiction at a time.
    I was going to wean myself off of the coffee, but I've been hearing about health benefits of 1-2 cups a day. So maybe not...

Good Luck
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love soda, diet only. I don't see it as a drink though, it's my no guilt sweet treat and when I don't have it I get major cravings for carbohydrates... I could probably eat an entire loaf of bread! I figure there are worse things to enjoy, so why not? At least this isn't going to hurt me much and it helps me stay on track. I just make sure to drink some extra water to make up for the caffeine.