Looking for some advice

Options
Hello,
I'm looking for a little advice. My starting weight was 331 and after about 6 weeks I weigh 307.
What I've been doing so far:
Stationary bike 5 times a week for 45 minutes
Weights every other day
I keep my calories between 1300 and 1500 a day

What I want to know is:
1. This has been working well, but what I've been reading is that I shouldn't do cardio because I'll lose muscle. Is that true? Or can I lose fat and build muscle at the same time?
2. Should 40% of my calories be from protein?
3. Is it true that the first 20 to 30 lbs is just water weight and no real amount of fat has been lost?
4. If I'm doing things righy, how long before I see my body start to change on the outside?

There's a lot of information out there, which makes it confusing, but I'm doing better so far than I have in the past.

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My opinion: looking at one's own self in the mirror every day - it can be hard to 'see' changes. Because the difference day to day is tiny. Kind of like how you don't really 'see' yourself age! So take pictures. Either do it yourself, or have a friend/family member take a picture of you in a similar pose/place every week. Then put those pictures side by side, compare today to next month and the month after. THAT will be easier to 'see'.

• djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    "In the beginning it's all the same . . ." Mark Wildman , 1st minute of this video
    I think you will see changes in your face first of all . . . belly later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X528fwkUulo
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    2. Should 40% of my calories be from protein?

MFP's default macros are 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.

If the goal is 0.6g - 0.8g of protein per pound of healthy goal body weight, having my protein macro set to 25% - 30% hits those ranges.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for your heart, and weight training is good to build muscles and burn fat mix it up daily or do a little of both

The more lean protien the better!

You lost water and fat.

If you have body image issues it might take you a bit to see real changes, but it will come!

As far as calories go make sure you are not under eating to the point of binges or feeling really sick. Find out your tdee set on sedetary to see the amount of calories you need to just be alive with no activity. If you are not eating more then that you are hurting your body!

• ahclay
    ahclay Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I don't believe that about cardio. Exercise is good for us, all kinds. It's not a mathematical formula. Do what makes you feel strong and good. If you hurt yourself, it defeats the purpose. The first 20-30 lbs is water weight? That sounds like nonsense to me. Just put on your tightest fitting pants, right after washing. Then put them on once a month and note the difference. Easier than taking measurements, IMO.