Stress sabotage

Options
I just need to vent. Every time I think I’m getting serious and working at me, some sort of family member has an emergency that I stress eat over.

Replies

• hcn676
    hcn676 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you, as stress eating is also my only enemy. Whenever that comes up, a walk or doing any kinds of sports helps me to overcome the urge to eat. It can be anything from running to swimming or even just hitting some weights, doing a free youtube pilates class. Also, any hobby can help, which can completely fill your brain. Besides sports, eg, I make soaps and bath fizzies for friends and family :-) Wish you the best!!! Keep on to your goals!!!
  • Grimmibean
    Grimmibean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A suggestion: Try writing about it afterwards: What stressed you? How did that feel? What was your reaction? (e.g. overeating) what was the result from this short term (Relief for example) what are the results longterm? What would have been helpful instead? Coping mechanisms don"t vanish overnight, but slowly looking at them and analyzing what led to it helps me be more analytical and prepared.
  • DarlaJL82
    DarlaJL82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The other thing I do is to log it before I eat it. Sometimes I even log things before I want them, knowing I will want them later (sweets after lunch or dinner, alcoholic drinks, etc). Just seeing it logged is often a deterrent. I realize that some of what I want is just not aligned with my goals right now. Then later, I get to delete whatever it was, or replace it with something that gives me more bang for my caloric buck.

I do this also. It works well for balancing those treats with my calorie and nutrient goal. You can also do it with your exercise. That way when you don't quite feel like exercising you can see how it's going to affect your daily goal and it gives you a little bit more motivation to start that exercise
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I feel you! Deep breathing (at least three full, deep breaths) and a warming, soothing, non calorie herbal tea can help. Or green tea. The hot liquid soothes the body and soul, the aroma invites relaxation, and if you have something like chamomile (or a chamomile blend like chamomile vanilla) it has natural relaxation properties too. Another thing to do when you're feeling stressed is share a warm hug. :)
  • VegeKelly
    VegeKelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have the exact opposite problem right now... I unfortunately have no advice for you here, just want to say hang in there. Being self-aware is a great start. Be kind to yourself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!