clean eating help please!!!!

Options
I have begun to change my family's eating habbits to clean eating....one product at a time.

I have switched the following things so far:
sugar..........organic cane sugar, honey
regular flour..........whole wheat/unbleached flour
peanut butter...........natural peanut butter (bulk barn)
eggs.........our own laying hens fed non-medicated feed, table scraps
store bread (bens,dempsters).........home made bread in the bread machine
salt.............sea salt
imperial margerine............butter (when cooking) ****this one's hard to change, not pushing it, putting butter on the table and if they want the imperial they have to go look for it. we run out more often...(don't tell them i'm doing it on purpose lol)

two questions......

1. Wondering what i could/should change next?
2.i love crystal light packets.....try water with out them and have a hard time getting 8 cups in a day....... I have also tried lemon in the water, but i end up with canker sores within a couple days. So what should I do next?

PS i have a family of 7....cant afford to buy EVERYTHING organic...or I would. Would love suggestions that won't break the bank.

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    are you using real lemons or reconstituted lemon juice in your water? Cucumber juice is good in water.

I think limes are milder.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    2.i love crystal light packets.....try water with out them and have a hard time getting 8 cups in a day....... I have also tried lemon in the water, but i end up with canker sores within a couple days. So what should I do next?

You could try one or two crushed berries in your water instead of the lemon. And there are a TON of herbal teas out there- fruit flavors, spice flavors, you name it. See if there's one or two that might interest your taste buds if you can't do straight water.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've heard it recommended to buy organic for anything that has a thin skin.
  • amityc
    amityc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good job! We switched to clean eating almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Those crystal light packets are definitely not good. I make iced green tea or decaf black with mint and drink that if I want something other than water. I also bought a soda streamer which carbonates water so I can have that when I'm craving a soda or something fizzy.
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good job! We switched to clean eating almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Those crystal light packets are definitely not good. I make iced green tea or decaf black with mint and drink that if I want something other than water. I also bought a soda streamer which carbonates water so I can have that when I'm craving a soda or something fizzy.
    ooooooh soda streamer eh? are they expensive? and where did you get it?
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    My DR told me to not eat pasta (Even Whole Wheat) and switch to quinoa. It's real tasty. It plumps up 3X the size. It's really cheep. You can have it for breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert. It's very nutritious.

I have not done this yet but I was told by my DR to add flax seed to my oatmeal in the morning. It's cheep too.

Also I'm not aloud dairy, for now so my DR told me to switch to Almond Milk. It's sweet without the sugar. It has more calcium than cows milk. And it has more protien too. I like the chocolate one the best!:bigsmile: YES I SAID CHOCOLATE! lol.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Now I don't carve chocolate bars anymore.:happy:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be negative, but I don't see how switching from table salt to sea salt helps.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have just started my journey into cleaning eating and have been slowly changing things. I have found a great site that have tons of info and recipes. its the graciouspantry.com if you haven't already been on it check it out. My main problem is I live in small town USA and there isn't a health food store within 100's of miles. so I have to buy some of the things on-line. good luck to you.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be negative, but I don't see how switching from table salt to sea salt helps.

Sea salt has a better flavor so you use less and it also contains trace minerals that are beneficial.

Okay...as for the OP- use fresh mint or melon in your water. Herbal teas will also count to your water content since there is no caffeine.

If you do not subscribe...I highly recommend picking up Clean Eating Magazine or you can check it out online. It's all based on Tosca Reno's guide to eating clean. Love that woman. I still struggle with eating clean at times...I love salt and vinegar crisps and any chewy type candies. Those are two of my weaknesses and I'm doing better, lol.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Sea salt has a better flavor so you use less and it also contains trace minerals that are beneficial.

I'd rather get Iodine from table salt which is necessary for proper thyroid function, which controls metabolism, than an insignificant amount of trace minerals from sea salt which varies greatly depending which sea water source it is evaporated from.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I'd rather get Iodine from table salt which is necessary for proper thyroid function, which controls metabolism, than an insignificant amount of trace minerals from sea salt which varies greatly depending which sea water source it is evaporated from.

And do you know the reason iodine was originally added to salt? It's not needed...we at least in the majority of the US do not need it added to our salt because we absorb it from foods grown in soil that is already naturally iodine rich.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    Hi, I am new here to MFP & my first time hearing about clean eating. I think that is great, that is what they do on tv to clean out your cupboards. To a clean eating, that makes sense. I have been trying to do that for some time now, nice to know it has a name!

I know I love the taste of a healty peanut butter compared to generic brand.
    We live on a small farm & have fresh chicken eggs. I have high cholesterol; I'm not sure if that is from the eggs or from not being able to get the exercise that I need. (I got bucked off a horse, now have a backache everday; have some back issues.) My suggestion is to learn more about the RDA% of cholesterol required daily is 300mg if you don't have heart disease in your family, & if you have it, your amount is only 200mg, an egg is 213mg.
    I usually use Dr. Google to get some answers for some information I need.
    I raise a small herd of dairy goats; that is the best thing I have done in my life. My husband's lactose intolerance is not flaring up, unless he eats store bought ice cream. If you ever have any questions about raising goats; be friend me & talk to me anytime. I will be there for anyone the best that I can.
    I wanted to tell you that I raise lemon balm in my yard. It has very many health benefits, dr google it. It makes the best tea, you will truly enjoy your water once you get some home grown lemon balm in your yard. It is so tasty you can harvest it, dry it for the winter, & make a pitcher for the frige. You can use honey or your preference of sugar. Lemon balm reseeds itself, so it will always come back & it does blow in the wind. You will be surprised that it comes up in different places.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    You don't have to buy organic, just visit your local farmers market. This way you can get your fruits and veggies before they're packed and shipped.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    And do you know the reason iodine was originally added to salt? It's not needed...we at least in the majority of the US do not need it added to our salt because we absorb it from foods grown in soil that is already naturally iodine rich.

I got a degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences, I remember learning about goiters and the FDA's law in the 1930's to incorporate iodine into table salt to prevent goiters. It's also important for T3 and T4 formation, so for those of us who don't eat adequate veges that have an adequate iodine content, table salt is prefered over sea salt, just my $0.02
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try putting berries in your water? Maybe try mashing a few in there? The cafeteria at my work does all sorts of berry, melon, citrus, and cucumber blends that are delicious! Would just have to experiment to find some good flavor combinations and the right amount.
  • BeckyFitPal
    Options

I got a degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences, I remember learning about goiters and the FDA's law in the 1930's to incorporate iodine into table salt to prevent goiters. It's also important for T3 and T4 formation, so for those of us who don't eat adequate veges that have an adequate iodine content, table salt is prefered over sea salt, just my $0.02

Agreed. Especially if there are kids in the house I'd keep the table salt (I use both table salt and kosher myself).
  • dawny17
    Options

You could try one or two crushed berries in your water instead of the lemon. And there are a TON of herbal teas out there- fruit flavors, spice flavors, you name it. See if there's one or two that might interest your taste buds if you can't do straight water.
    I'm going to try this I think...I just picked up some fresh blueberries last night.
  • dawny17
    Options

Agreed. Especially if there are kids in the house I'd keep the table salt (I use both table salt and kosher myself).

The sea salt that I use is "Baleine" it say that it is iodized, so not worried about the iodine. It has 510 mg of sodium per 1/4 cup or 21% compared to the "windsor" brand table salt that has 570 mg of salt per1/4 cup or 24%. Try to cut corners where ever I can :).
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A great start dawny17. It's a gradual progression, particularly with feeding a family with many tastes and prejudices. Other things to try:

Switch from pre-packaged spice kits (stew seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.) to the bulk individual spices, such as chili powder and cumin along with the others. This gets rid of a lot of hidden salt in your diet along with other additives. Use fresh herbs from the produce department rather than dried, such as cilantro/coriander, garlic, basil, etc.

I am personally not someone who likes to eat just vegetables, so I mix them in what I am cooking and do more pilaf style dishes.
  • dawny17
    Options
    You don't have to buy organic, just visit your local farmers market. This way you can get your fruits and veggies before they're packed and shipped.
    I do try to do the farmers market...try LOL, I actually bought a tomato plant ~tumbling tom~ and have it on my patio. It is a cherry tomato variety so my girl picks off the tomatoes and brings them in the house. She has kinda taken ownership of the plant, which I catcher her eating them as she picks them....I have no problem with that! :)