Having touble 'owning' my weight loss

Options
Has this happened to anyone else?

I was at a 'reunion' of sorts, seeing people I haven't seen in months, and I guess my 10 lb loss is showing, as I was getting tons of comments:

"Hey, skinny!"

"Wow, you look great!"

"Ah, you're some tiny!"

Which is great, right? Except I couldn't bring myself to say "Thanks, I've been eating better and working out." or anything else along those lines. Instead I kept brushing it off by saying I've been working too much.

I'm so proud of losing 10 lbs! I love that my clothes are loose! So why can't I own my weight loss when friends comment on it? Any suggestions for other ways to acknowledge the compliment, without sounding like a walking weight-loss-infomercial?

Replies

• JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    first of all congrats on the 10 pounds.. My big question is once you reach your goal weight will you feel like you've lost enough? Maybe set some rewards for the weight you do lose and it will feel more real :) good luck and keep up the good work!!! can't wait until i reach the 10 pound mark :)
  • crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think a simple 'Thank you' is always best. However, if people say, "How'd you do it?" Then feel free to elaborate.
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    I think a plain old Thank You is enough! You earned it, you should own it! :wink:
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think this is a problem for people in general. I have loss weight as well and still see the fat girl in the mirror. I think it has to do with what we are use to being, seeing and feeling for so long that when it changes it is hard to accept. I just watched the movie disfigured and it is about body image. Great movie and it really hit home for me.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    it was hard for me.
    i was embarrassed about my weight loss for some reason because i didn't like the attention.
    I think i just learned to say Thank You and move on.
    it still happens though and i have come to embrace it and learn to think.. "hey, i did this for me! i should be proud of myself! i am a healthier, happier person! go me!"

good job!
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss!! I had a hard time, too, at first. I was a little embarrassed by the fact that I was having to lose weight. I think it was because I was admitting how heavy I was and that I needed to make a drastic change in my life. I finally thought about it one day and realized that everyone else already knew I was fat, I just needed to accept they knew it and it wasn't a secret. Now I own it. I admit my weight openly and am so proud that I can sasy "yes, I've lost 30 lbs so far and I'm going to lose more!" even thought I'm still overweight. You'll be surprised how many people will embrace it and encourage you and congratulate you. Opening up to friends and coworkers has been such a great change!
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Ah, is that a trace of modesty I detect? I'm clearly not familiar with it... I'm ITCHING for someone at work to comment and keep wearing snugger clothes to try to show it off. I did a little dance when I told my mom I was wearing size 12 pants. When my sister in law finally mentioned it, I whipped off my sweater and posed for her. I think I have validation issues. :tongue: Proud? Hell, yeah! Join the club - you've earned it!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    "Thank You" works perfectly, and is sometimes the hardest thing to say! I tend to get diarrhea mouth when someone compliments me too.. Keep practicing your 'thank yous' and it will get easier! Congrats on your progress!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I get a little embarrassed when people know I am trying to lose weight. I went to a wake last week and my Aunt told everyone I had lost 20 pounds before I got there. I felt weird because everyone kept bringing it up throughou the day and I played it off as no big deal (when it is!!). Plus I have a ways to go and felt like everyone knew that. Weird, Me overthinking it of course.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile, it looks like you have been up and down for the better part of your life. Could not owning up be a defense mechanism because, subconsciously, you are afraid you will gain it back again, and if you don’t own up to it, you don’t have to explain if you fail? If you are making a lifestyle change rather than going on a diet, I think you will eventually have confidence that you won’t revert, which is what happens when one goes off their diet.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at saying thank you and being proud of myself. The issue I have is with the follow-up question which is always what are you doing? I actually had someone the other day ask if I was doing HCG? It's a let down to people when I say that I am watching what I eat and working out. With my friends, they know all about what I am doing, but I would rather not go into details with everyone.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If it ever happened to me, I'd just say thanks and move on. However, it's a rare day when anyone says anything to me about it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm a little uncomfortable talking about it too, especially considering a lot of my friends have weight problems. If someone compliments, I say, "Thanks, that means a lot to me." And if they ask how I do it, I say "I've been trying to eat a little healthier and exercise more."
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For me personally, its I just dont feel it. Just saw some family I havent seen for a few months, and they all said they noticed, but I really feel that it was just because my mom has been telling people I have been working out. I (because of how disgustingly sweaty I get) workout in my underwear, and everyday I see this big gut sitting infront of me, and still feel like you can see fat in various areas. I guess its part of the fact that you see yourself everytime you walk past a mirror, you see yourself, so things are only really subtly different.