Help me correct this long routine (need detailed correction plz)

Options
Hello all :)

I am hoping to find a kind soul to help me modify this routine in detail, I know it is very detailed and long to read and I know I will end up changing nothing if I only get general notes because I have no clue what I am doing.

It takes me around 3 hours to finish and I do it every other day (4 times a week), I also do 1 hour walking when I do this routine and 2-3 hour walking on the day I don't do this routine.

About me:

-Male
-40 years old
-183cm/6ft
-82kg/180 lb
-On Keto/Low carb, no grains, no dairy and loosing weight slowly 3.3Kg/7lb a month
-have a mild case of some form of RA (no meds) and avoiding knee and leg workout for the time being except walking
-I am aiming for health and good moderate body shape with maybe 15% fat, no specific details here.
-Visual aim: https://www.mensjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/mf/14_to_17_percent_main.jpg

I made this routine by just trying to include all exercises mentioned by some youtuber/s but I ended with a long list that takes too much time because I rest quite well between each set and I have no clue what to edit...

The Routine:

1 Plank 1 minute

2 Air Bike 40 rep

3 Floor Dumbbell Press 25 (16.5 Lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

4 Leg raise hold for 25-30 sec

5 Crunches 20 rep

6 Hip raise 20 rep (33 pound/15kg on hip)

7 Standing Biceps curl 20 alternating reps (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

8 Standing side lat raise 10 rep (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

9 Push up 3 sets of 5 reps

10 Door frame Facepulls 10 reps

I repeat steps (1-10) 3 times total except:

step 3 (first time arms 45 degree then 90 degree then chest-to-floor pullover while on floor instead)
Step 7 1st time normal curl 2nd timer hammer curl no 3rd time
Step 8 I do 30 rep Standing side lat raise on 3rd time

Then

11 Standing shoulder press 10 rep (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbell)

12 Bent over Dumbbell row (arm 90 degree away body to stress shoulder) 20 rep per arm (16.5 Lb dumbbell per hand)

13 Lean-away lat raise 7 rep per arm (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbell)

14 Standing side lat raise with bicep curl at the end (stresses the shoulder more) 10 rep per arm

15 Standing up-right row 20 rep (16.5 lb/7.5kgdumbbells)

16 Standing front raise (Alternating) 5 rep per arm vertical 5 rep per arm horizontal

17 Standing side lat raise with arm extending finish and hold 5 rep per arm (9 Lb/4kg dumbell !)

18 Floor Dumbell flys 25 reps (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

19 Floor Cloe-grip press 25 reps (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

20 Floor Reverse Dumbbell press 25 (16.5 lb/7.5kg dumbbells)

Then with 22 Lb

21 Bent over Dumbbell row (arm 45 degree) 20 rep per arm (22 Lb/10kg Dumbells)

22 Standing Biceps curl 10 rep per arm (22 Lb/10kg dumbbells)

23 Standing crush grip dumbbell press out 20 rep (22 Lb/10kg dumbbells)

24 Standing shoulder press 10 rep per arm (22 Lb/10kg dumbbells)

Thank you for your time

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are two obvious options to me:
    1-split this routine into three sessions of one hour each done on separate days
    2-follow a structured program in the thread “which lifting program is right for you?”, stickied at the top of this forum.
    Good luck.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, too many exrcise at one session. Take 4-5 moves and repeat them one ofter another 3-5 cycles. But if you want to be efficient, do them with shortest possible for youself rests. Long rests are also good for time when you feel week or want to turn them in to cardio. You are free to modified exrcises like you wish for your own purpose.
    If I was you, I would chose 2 exerscises for arms and 3 for legs and low body and do them in turn: legs, arms, legs, arms, legs. The best effect arms get after your legs get the adrenalyn rush, Highest adrenalyn rush going with leg work, bc they have biggest nuscles
  • Alex15161718
    Alex15161718 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb Thank you for the suggestions, I got lost reading that stickied thread so I skipped it.

@natasor1 I can't do legs right now like I said in the post, body weight is too much for my leg joints.

I will keep my routine I guess.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    If the exercises in your routine work for you, then I agree with keeping them, but also agree that you split them up. Even if you split them into two days, and kept a rest day in between. You'll still see gains, and you won't be as trashed by the duration.

I have a hard time getting motivated for a three hour butt kicking... But an hour and a half... I can do that. And so can you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb Thank you for the suggestions, I got lost reading that stickied thread so I skipped it.

@natasor1 I can't do legs right now like I said in the post, body weight is too much for my leg joints.

I will keep my routine I guess.

Rather than skipping the best advice offered here on MFP, why don’t you you break it down and digest a bit each day. The lifting programs appear early in the thread, so focus on those and don’t get bogged down by all the comments. 🤗
  • McBurnsalot
    McBurnsalot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Way too much in one workout. Your body needs adequate time to recover. My goal is to do sustainable workouts, as in what amount of exercise a day can I do and stick with it the rest of my life, for me it’s an hour to a hour 15 min a day 5-6 days a week.

I would suggest looking at the Strong Lifts 5x5 routine or starting power by Mark Rippetoe.

This site has a TON of info from how to exercise, form, and routine.
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

The other routine. Mark is a pro, not sure how much is on the site but have heard a lot of good things about the book.
    https://startingstrength.com/

Both routines are 3 days a week and only 3 exercises per workout but they are full body compound movements and will be more than enough to build core strength and physic.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    So every second day you exercise for a total of 4 hours? And in between you walk for 3 hours? Why?
    You say you cannot do legs at all, yet you walk for 3 hours?
    Also not sure why you think 3 kilos per month weight loss for a person who is not even overweight to begin with is moderate loss, it is extreme.
    I understand wanting results fast but basically you have unrealistic goals and will get injured is my guess. Problems with knees and walking 3 hours on rest days?

Pick up an established routine, this cannot be corrected, it is a little like a kid going to a toy shop and wanting to get everything, it will not work. If there are problems in your joints, focus on bodyweight training after consulting with your doctor. I have arthritis I had to give up on anything other than small dumbbells, and yet it works out beautifully, bodyweight with necessary modifications.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    What are your trying to achieve? Why work out so much? That you think losing 7lbs per month is moderate without having a lot to lose, and overexercising by so much does ring some alarm bells.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    TOO MANY exercises in one session. So here's what I do for a client on a full body workout day. 1 compound and 1 isolation exercise per body part. 3x6-10 reps. Shouldn't take you more than an hour max.
    And please train your legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png