Today is the first day of the rest of my life!

Options
Hi! Thanks for joining me.
Monday I started logging my food after being absent for 7 years. I didn't really use the aids back then, just logged my weight. Now I don't even know where my scale is. I just use the doctor scale and have to convert kilos to pounds.
I have type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed 25 years ago. My progress stalls around the same as I generally give in to my sugar weakness. To me, it's better than crack to an addict.
Last year on Christmas day 2019 I joined a gym. Progress was tepid but most weeks I checked in about 3 times for about 30 minutes. Rolling along and then covid hit. Isolated with nothing to do but eat. Huh.
The last few days have really taken root as most diets never do. I quit dieting ages ago due to the doom spiral.
This has given me a grip on making choices in taking control of my health.
I have a head for numbers and a body for sloth 🤣
But I feel empowered to get my numbers into the goal range. I do well for breakfast since it circles around coffee, which makes me feel full.
At lunch, I work out a basic menu for the day, giving a lot of thought into getting in my water, fiber, protein and a walk. All challenges to me.
By evening, I closely keep track of increasing these areas of challenges and limiting those carbs and sugars that are a regular part of late nights.
Like tonight my tummy was grumbling about 10 but instead of the usual go tos, I was content to have a diet 7up with a splash of fruity sugar free toranis.
The last two days I have hit, and exceeded my goals for the day. I even drank 5 cups of water, where usually I choke down my meds and supplements with a quarter cup of water.
I would like to say that I am so appreciative of the hard work being done for me so I just enter my food choices and all the numbers total up automatically. No more food diary with excruciating effort put towards looking up calories and food exchanges. The system even totals the vitamins and fiber grams that I had no idea about before.
I just want to encourage anyone that has read my lengthy scribblings to keep at it and make use of the tools available.
This is my first post, hopefully not my last. I feel optimistic about the future, not burdened like when starting a new diet. This doesn't feel like a diet since I feel satisfied with my progress. I don't feel like I am doomed if I don't get it perfect or make a mistake. I'm learning from those mistakes that would have beaten me down before. There is hope, even for me...a dyed in the wool pessimist.
Be blessed as I am blessed 😇
Elizabeth

Replies

• LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck on your journey!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    welcome!! Sounds like you have a good thing going for you, lets keep it up!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What a great post!!! You’ve found the magic solution. Keep it up!