Smoking (please don't judge)

Options
So I smoke. I have for 15 years. Never tried to quit, my excuse was; I don't want to gain weight!! Well, too late. I did, I have and it's happened. Now my excuse is; I don't want to get FATTER!!!! Ugh. I know it is wrong in every which way. I am thinking about the electric cigarettes, but I am very nervous. Because I am still 82pnds over weight is it beating a dead horse if I try to accomplish too many things at once? I also take anxiety/depression meds (when I remember) so that always in the back of my head because I am so dependent on 'things'..... I freak out just thinking about quiting...... again.... 15yrs from this vice:(

Thanks

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    smoking has no effect on weight loss or gain.

what happens is usually the oral fixation you have when you smoked is being transfered into over eating.
    smoking isnt that hard to quit..i did it, no problem
  • cervenec
    Options
    It's not beating a dead horse! I know a lot of people who have used electronic cigarettes when quitting, and although I've never smoked cigarettes proper I have used electronic ones and they're really awesome. My mom quit after 15 years as well and she had to work hard to not put on weight right after, but now there's electronic cigarettes, you can chew gum, etc. Go for it :)
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    first of all, try to make a schedule for your meds and stick to it- i'm really bad at remembering to take pills, and used to take my meds for a week and then forget and go off them for a few days, and it did some HORRIBLE **** to me. secondly, try and think of it in terms of getting healthy rather than just losing weight./quitting smoking you don't have to do everything all at the same time, but try and work on it- maybe cutting down little by little :)
  • brunettebetty
    Options
    I know this is definitely not the case for most people, but when I decided to take weight loss seriously, when I decided I wanted to be able to run long distances, I quit cold turkey. Lost 70lbs, haven't smoked for over 2 years now. It's possible! :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 37 years and was rail thin. I had two sisters that smoked like furnaces and looked like hippos. They are dead and I am not. I quit over 4 years ago and did gain a good deal of weight. I have now lost it all plus! I do not regret quitting. I now run, jog do anything. I am SO glad I quit because not being able to breathe sucks.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Being a smoker, and one who has quit several times....it is an oral fixation! I have quit 3 times and lost weight all 3 times (I actually gained the weight back when I started smoking again or stayed the same)

If you are going to quit just make sure you have some gum, carrots, celery sticks! its what you put in your mouth!

I am one to talk I need to quit again! Pick a date and do it....or "try"

Really increase water when you decide!

The first 3 days are the hardest!!! If you can get through them you will be successful!

Again...I only started smoking again about 2 months ago and have already picked a date to quit again....However, this time I am not going to let myself go back.....no more causal smoking....it makes you start again! Duh!!!!!

Oh well....I just have to be accountable to myself....but its not easy, its like anything else!!!!!

Best of luck!!!!!!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    smoking has no effect on weight loss or gain.

what happens is usually the oral fixation you have when you smoked is being transfered into over eating.
    smoking isnt that hard to quit..i did it, no problem

I have a very different opinion on how hard it is to quit....

I have quit 4 times is 20 or so years, currently I have been smoke free working on 3 years. It can be done and if you have support in me if you need it. There have been studies that say that people that exercise while quitting are more likely to have success. You can do it, have faith in yourself :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you want to quit, then go ahead and do it. Don't focus so much on losing weight. Instead, focus on adopting healthier habits. Adjust your eating habits so that you're eating a healthy, balanced diet and get regular exercise. Those changes alone will get your body feeling better. Once your body is feeling better it shouldn't be as difficult to quit smoking.
  • punkinrn
    punkinrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i was afraid to quit too, quit with my last pregnancy. it's been two years and i've lost 80lbs since!
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    when you decide to quit chew gum to get your oral fixation NOT FOOD which is what most people do and why they say smokers who quit gain weight!!!! Good luck to you
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I won't make this lengthy. I quit on July 4th (my "independence day") after 19 years. I will never smoke again.

Add me and I will do tell you everything I can about my experience thus far to help you. But have you decided that you will never smoke again? If you paused, you're not ready. And that's ok. Focus on other aspects first. The confidence will help you when you decide to become a non-smoker.
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain more than 5 to 10 lbs. This may happen even if you don't replace smoking with eating. Your metabolism will change slightly as your body adjusts. Replace smoking with exercise, eat right, and drink tons of water. It's the best way to not gain. A lot of people have success replacing it with running. If you need support add me.
  • Lisa0731
    Options
    I have been smoking since i was 13; I'm 33 now. I hve four children all at ripe ages for getting mommy very bothered in one way or another (ages 17,15, 8,and 2). I've made alot of changes in my life, but smoking is one vise that has been hard to let go of. I'm that 3rd day person - I go nuts after the 3rd day. The electronic cigarette is ok - but still not the same. I'd like to quit cold turkey, I've said several time (when the last cigarette is gone) "i'm not buying another pack, then i do ( at the gas station,~inanly~) And when I remeber what I said (as I am smoking) I think what if I don't have cancer and this is the one that does me in, what if I get sick and need a lung but the doctors can't find any, what if the smoke goes down the wrong pipe and I choke on my saliva as I driving threw "Dead Mans curve off the high way. As you probably can imagine I have some issues and ashtrays full of unfinished cigarettes. - Just wanted to share, I'm new :wink: and I relate.
  • knetterk
    Options
    I won't make this lengthy. I quit on July 4th (my "independence day") after 19 years. I will never smoke again.

Add me and I will do tell you everything I can about my experience thus far to help you. But have you decided that you will never smoke again? If you paused, you're not ready. And that's ok. Focus on other aspects first. The confidence will help you when you decide to become a non-smoker.

Well, I did pause. Only because I was told, 'never or forever is setting yourself for failure, it's 'today' that counts.' I understand what you mean though... and I agree more ways than one. I would still like to add you!! Wisdom should be shared:)!
  • knetterk
    Options
    I have been smoking since i was 13; I'm 33 now. I hve four children all at ripe ages for getting mommy very bothered in one way or another (ages 17,15, 8,and 2). I've made alot of changes in my life, but smoking is one vise that has been hard to let go of. I'm that 3rd day person - I go nuts after the 3rd day. The electronic cigarette is ok - but still not the same. I'd like to quit cold turkey, I've said several time (when the last cigarette is gone) "i'm not buying another pack, then i do ( at the gas station,~inanly~) And when I remeber what I said (as I am smoking) I think what if I don't have cancer and this is the one that does me in, what if I get sick and need a lung but the doctors can't find any, what if the smoke goes down the wrong pipe and I choke on my saliva as I driving threw "Dead Mans curve off the high way. As you probably can imagine I have some issues and ashtrays full of unfinished cigarettes. - Just wanted to share, I'm new :wink: and I relate.

Lmao.... I'm 30 and have been smoking since I was 14.... pretty much the same:( I have 1!!! can't imagine 3!!! The electric cigarette you can actually put liquid nicotine drops in it right?? I have a friend in AZ who just started and swears by it.... It's just like, If I buy it I have to be serious...
  • knetterk
    Options
    I smoked for 37 years and was rail thin. I had two sisters that smoked like furnaces and looked like hippos. They are dead and I am not. I quit over 4 years ago and did gain a good deal of weight. I have now lost it all plus! I do not regret quitting. I now run, jog do anything. I am SO glad I quit because not being able to breathe sucks.

u rock!!!
  • elliecolorado
    Options
    I smoke and don't plan on quitting any time soon, I know I should, but it (and drinking a little) are the only vices that I have left. If you do quit just try to avoid eating to fill 'the void'. But if you don't want to, smoking really has no effect on weight loss.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i started smoking when i was 12...havent stopped since (except to have my son). my husband uses the electronic cigarette...they are pricey and make my throat itch and cough (more than just smoking lol). I researched what is in electronic cigs and they make me nervous. I also roll my own cigs with filters so they have less crap in them than manufactured cigarettes. I have been told by tons of people its oral fixation, its a void, i will gain weight if i quit, or its hand to mouth...whatever it is you will find out soon enough. One of the best things I did when I quit before was sunflower seeds (hand to mouth, filling void with semi healthy food and takes care of oral). Plus drinking extra water helps for the sodium with the sunflower seeds. No matter what you do it is gonna suck....no other way around it. But, as mentioned before, after the third day it gets way better. Good luck!
  • knetterk
    Options
    You guys thank you for the support:)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When I decided to quit, it was partly because I could hardly breathe while working out. And because I stopped in the middle of my workouts because I "needed" a smoke break (wtf?!) So I carried a pen or pencil with me at all times so my hand had something to do, and also hard candy or mints (I'm not a fan of gum). The cravings lasted a couple of days, but the mental cravings persisted, which is where the pencil and mints came in. I knew I made the right choice when I could workout for more than 5 minutes without needing to stop to catch my breath. You can do it!