Suppliment.

Options
I am doing very well on myfitnesspal with loosing weight, getting exercise and making progress. However, I am worried about meeting my nutritional needs with so few calories. I find it really hard to plan to eat enough nutritionally dense food to achieve nutritional goals. I am reading some books like "Eat to Live" and learning about "Superfoods" but it will take me time to learn to eat and prepare food to the capacity of optimal nutrition. And let's face it, the availability is not always optimal. Despite those obstacles achieving nutritional density in my diet is my goal. That being said, does anyone out there have any recommendations about food supplements that might help boost and maintain my nutritional needs? I was looking at http://myvega.com/ but they do not ship to me here in Canada. I would never replace a wholesome diet with a supplement but I want to make sure I am filling in the gaps in a safe, healthy, comprehensive and wholesome/natural way. I am wanting something more then vitamins. I'm looking for something with vitamins, fiber, minerals/lytes, niacin, healthy protein and fats and immunity and energy boosters such as Maca. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate learning about them. I really want my weight-loss, strength building and overall health benefit to be sustainable and become a lifestyle. (I also can't figure out how to fix/edit the spelling of "Supplement" the topic heading spelling, so just ignore that).

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good multi-vitamin, keep eating a variety of fruits and veges, skip the Maca root. Good luck with your goals.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    something like this maybe? pricey but AOR does make some of the best stuff on the market. i think the powder form is cheaper, so you might want to search for that

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=3337

personally i use this greens formula

http://healthzone.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--productId_26687747.html
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a good multivitamin already. Thanks. What do you know about Maca and why would you tell me to skip it. Thanks in advance.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you can still meet your needs on a low calorie diet
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I have a good multivitamin already. Thanks. What do you know about Maca and why would you tell me to skip it. Thanks in advance.

Maca root extract has been said is a good libido enhancer. However, the concentrations vary greatly from brand to brand. Doses required to reap the benefits are high and not very cost benefit for weight loss. Stick to a complete multivitamin and good eating, training, rest and recovery.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    When your on a calorie restricted diet BCAA's can be supplemented for use as energy and to halt catabolism. When the body doesn't have enough calories it will turn to muscle for energy. This is something you don't want because your metabolism will slow down and sabotage your weight loss goals.
  • robinxhope
    Options
    How? Can you outline a daily diet that meets all your nutritional needs and then provide me with a week of diets with variety?
  • Cr357
    Options
    How? Can you outline a daily diet that meets all your nutritional needs and then provide me with a week of diets with variety?
    What are your goals and is your current plan working?
  • robinxhope
    Options
    Can you provide a reference to support your claim and then a diet plan that absolutely covers all the other areas that I am deficit in (not able to achieve each day with my whole food diet on calorie restriction) such as potassium, iron, fibre, omegas, energy enhancements?

See this is the issue: My question was specifically for a supplement covering the things that I wish to ingest for optimal nutrition based on the reading and research that I have obtained as I provided for you. Not advice on nutrition. Everyone acts like they know whats best for everyone else without taking into consideration that this is a personal and unique decision. I appreciate the sentiment in your opinions but I am looking for a specific answer. Not subjective advice.
  • Cr357
    Options
    Can you provide a reference to support your claim and then a diet plan that absolutely covers all the other areas that I am deficit in (not able to achieve each day with my whole food diet on calorie restriction) such as potassium, iron, fibre, omegas, energy enhancements?

See this is the issue: My question was specifically for a supplement covering the things that I wish to ingest for optimal nutrition based on the reading and research that I have obtained as I provided for you. Not advice on nutrition. Everyone acts like they know whats best for everyone else without taking into consideration that this is a personal and unique decision. I appreciate the sentiment in your opinions but I am looking for a specific answer. Not subjective advice.
    Then a good quality multivitamin will fill in the gaps. And a fish oil supplement can help also.
  • robinxhope
    Options
    Also, there is a lot more said about Maca (research based) then just libido enhancement. FYI.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Also, there is a lot more said about Maca (research based) then just libido enhancement. FYI.

Awesome, I'd love to read those articles if you can link them.
  • robinxhope
    Options
    As an adaptogen, beyond Libido, the way it acts physiologically on the body it can help increase energy. It helps increase blood oxygen content which can help the body deal with stressors. It also has positive connections to immunity.

Read the book Superfoods, by David Wolfe. He is fairly well sited and provides scientific reference to his claims. You can learn a lot about other foods that have health promotive benefits. I really believe food is under-utilized as a therapy/disease prevention.

Another good book about nutrition density that is really well sited is Eat To Live by Dr. Fuhrman, M.D.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide how you want to eat based on the knowledge you have obtained.

Now back to my question that has not been answered. Are there any supplements anyone out there can recommend (I already have a good multivitamin).

Also note, Multivitamins in and of themselves rarely contain enough of the recommended doses of certain vitamins such as calcium and vitamin D. So you MUST think about filling the gaps with more vitamins or with a nutrient dense diet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    something like this maybe? pricey but AOR does make some of the best stuff on the market. i think the powder form is cheaper, so you might want to search for that

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=3337

personally i use this greens formula

http://healthzone.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--productId_26687747.html
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    As an adaptogen, beyond Libido, the way it acts physiologically on the body it can help increase energy. It helps increase blood oxygen content which can help the body deal with stressors. It also has positive connections to immunity.

Read the book Superfoods, by David Wolfe. He is fairly well sited and provides scientific reference to his claims. You can learn a lot about other foods that have health promotive benefits. I really believe food is under-utilized as a therapy/disease prevention.

Another good book about nutrition density that is really well sited is Eat To Live by Dr. Fuhrman, M.D.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide how you want to eat based on the knowledge you have obtained.

Now back to my question that has not been answered. Are there any supplements anyone out there can recommend (I already have a good multivitamin).

Also note, Multivitamins in and of themselves rarely contain enough of the recommended doses of certain vitamins such as calcium and vitamin D. So you MUST think about filling the gaps with more vitamins or with a nutrient dense diet.

Any idea what doses of which compound(s) in the Maca give those benefits? Yes, multivitamins aren't perfect, but they do supply many micros that we don't get enough of in our diets. But I get plenty of vitamin D from sunshine and eggs and fish so I'm not worried about that. There are supplements sold for almost any illness, defeciency, etc., question is, do you really need it, and in what dosage is effective?
  • robinxhope
    Options
    I don't know yet, I'm looking around for more information. I'm mostly using common sense when searching for what to ingest. Pure, fresh as possible, unprocessed or naturally processed. etc. I think I might order something from this website:

http://www.sunfood.com

They have a nice selection of supplements and Superfoods too.