Intermittent Fasting

Options
Experience share

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I basically skip breakfast , because I’m not hungry in the morning. Usually start eating around 11:00, done by 8:00 pm.

It’s not magic, though. I still have to stay within my calorie target to lose weight.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Ah - I remember way back when it was called 'no snacking after dinner.' :D

I'm a late riser and generally take two meals a day somewhere between 10AM and 6PM. The calorie split is usually ~450 and 750 respectively. I drink coffee (2-3 mugs) before 2PM and sometimes have a large mug of hot tea about 30 minutes after dinner.

I rarely if ever feel hungry and since eating this way, my acid reflux/GERD has gone away completely.

I exercise on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) 30 minutes most every day and have lost 30kg/67 lb. since I started eating like this back in May 2020.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled with it a few times and ultimately found that I just like to eat breakfast. My routine is also pretty bound to training first thing in the morning and felt like I was possibly leaving something on the table regarding MPS by being without a protein source for that long. Comparing my data with and without IF there was no measurable difference in my weight with respect to calories consumed and I never felt any difference with regard to the multitude of ancillary benefits oft touted surrounding fasting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5:2 worked well for me for weight loss.

16:8 at maintenance was a PITA and got on my nerves despite breakfast being an optional meal for me. (Not a fan of inflexible rules and restrictions.)

Skipping breakfast when I feel like it is a useful tool to help make corrections to my weight trend.

At all times my weight trend followed my calorie balance.
  • kaycoes
    kaycoes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Ah - I remember way back when it was called 'no snacking after dinner.' :D

I'm a late riser and generally take two meals a day somewhere between 10AM and 6PM. The calorie split is usually ~450 and 750 respectively. I drink coffee (2-3 mugs) before 2PM and sometimes have a large mug of hot tea about 30 minutes after dinner.

I rarely if ever feel hungry and since eating this way, my acid reflux/GERD has gone away completely.

I exercise on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) 30 minutes most every day and have lost 30kg/67 lb. since I started eating like this back in May 2020.

I need to try it this way again!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about IF. Some people find it an easier way to stick to their calorie limit. I'm one of those people. I've never been a morning person and was making myself eat breakfast because I thought it was "healthy." It was very freeing to realize I didn't need to eat in the morning. A few times per year, I'll have breakfast if it's a provided work thing and I am WAY more hungry the rest of the day on the days I eat it.

I also find that I feel much better with larger meals as opposed to "grazing"/snacking throughout the day. When I tried that I was ravenous all day long and never felt satiated. If I were spending several hundred calories on breakfast, that would really cut into what I could have later in the day, which would make me feel very deprived.

On weekends, I sleep in and if I'm just at home, I make sure I don't start eating before 2 PM. If I'm not dying to eat by then, sometimes I delay it an hour or 2 more. I just find it much easier to tell myself I can have what I want, I just have to wait a little bit, as opposed to wanting more calories in the evening and not being able to have them because I've already "spent" them for the day.

I don't have a strict eating window or anything like that, it's just more of a general mindset for me. On weekdays my eating window tends to be between around 12-8 and on weekends, 2-10, but it's not set in stone. If I were going to brunch of something (pre-covid) on the weekend, I would make it work. It's important to make your plan fit into your life and work for you.