Non-dairy coffee creamer

cbihatt
cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
I bought some Silk brand almond coffee creamer that was on clearance at the grocery store today. After I opened it, I saw the “use by” date on the carton was Dec 26. Today is Jan 8. I put the stuff in my hot tea. Tastes fine. I’m not super worried, but I am curious about how strictly important the “use by” date is on this kind of product.

I should add that when it comes to dairy products and salad dressings, I don’t mess around with that date. But seeing as how this is nut-based, I am guessing I could be a little more lenient? I tried googling this, but I could only find stuff about almond milk or dairy based coffee creamers, not almond based coffee creamers.

Opinions?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    If it's one of the shelf-stable-until-opened Tetra Pak cartons, it's fine, just use it within 7-10 days. Also, does the carton specifically say "use by 12/26," or something like "best by 12/26" or "best before 12/26"? "Best by" dates and "use by" dates are not the same - "best by" means it is still safe to consume after that date, you just may not have the optimal taste/texture experience at that point. Spoiled almond milk goes clumpy and sour too, so if it had gone bad, you would be able to tell.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I would use it without a second thought
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    USA? USDA says:
    * A "Best if Used By/Before" date indicates when a product will be of best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
    * A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale for inventory management. It is not a safety date.
    * A “Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula as described below.
    * A “Freeze-By” date indicates when a product should be frozen to maintain peak quality. It is not a purchase or safety date

Source:
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating

There exists a web site somewhere (nongovernmental, I believe) that has guidance by type of product about how loose one might want to be with these dates, but I'm sorry to say I don't seem to have bookmarked it.

But given the USDA info, I think you're fine being a bit past, as long as it doesn't smell or taste off.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited January 2021
    It is USA, and “use-by” for those wanting clarification. And thanks! That info from the USDA is helpful, @AnnPT77. I never thought to look in that site! ☺️

Edited to add: The kind I bought is from the refrigerated section, not shelf stable. I used it twice yesterday and didn’t notice any weirdness so I guess it’s fine for now.