Splurges?

Do you think it’s helpful or harmful to splurge?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I treat food splurges like financial splurges: I "save" calories for a few days so I can "spend" them with guilt or regret. I occasionally willbl "spend" without enough calories saved, so I "borrow" from the future and them "pay them back" over the next few days afterwards :-)
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Thanks. I was thinking that once you create the habit of fewer calories that a splurge might lead down a slippery slope.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Helpful, for me personally.

I get pretty obsessive about stuff. While I want to loose weight I don't want to get crazy about it. Allowing myself to go all out when I truly feel like it kind of cuts that possibility down a bit.

That said, I question myself on my choices in advance: If I am ok with going over calories right now. If this short term thing is worth it to me. And so on. - Means overeating is (nearly) always a conscious decision. Sometimes it means I end up avoiding splurging. Sometimes it does not, but because I made it a thought-out choice I don't feel bad about it, either (avoiding the weird guilt spiral that can come with splurging and sometimes actually leads to overeating more because I feel like "it does not matter now anyway" or "well, that just proves I have no self control, so...")
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Overeating got me here in the first place. If I splurge, I log it. I don't really have enough wiggle room to bank calories for later, so I just make sure I log it all, good, bad or otherwise. I need to see the numbers.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    generally speaking, I make what I want, fit in my calories. even if I'm over, that's okay and I don't think too much about it as long as I am under maintenance.

special occasions (such as my birthday next week, holidays, etc) I don't log, or log very loosely. a few days out of the year never makes or breaks a diet. I will make myself a perfectly decadent cake next week and enjoy the slice or two I have from it. :)

The problem many people find with having 'cheat days' on a weekly basis is that depending on your deficit, it can be very easy to wipe out a weeks worth of work in that day. And then they wonder why they are not losing weight.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I'm exactly like AnnPT.

I have my daily calories set a bit under my required calories for maintaining my weight. At least one time per week I'll over-eat by about double my allotted calories. Is that because I've set myself too low? No, it's because there are some foods I really love which won't fit into my regular rotation and I'm not going to get into the, "Rob Peter to pay Paul," routine of borrowing calories and trying to make the numbers perfect because that would lead me to unhealthy (for me) numbers tyranny.

I just eat the big meal, log it and move on. I've been doing that ever since I started losing weight, and it hasn't affected my weight loss process. I try to be as disciplined as I can over most of the week.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Not great, but only harmful if you use the splurge as an excuse to keep splurging and give up. If you acknowledge & log your splurge, then go right back on track, it’s fine.