Looking for Friends and Support

Options
Hello!
I’m turning 29 this March and I live in the hill towns of Western Massachusetts with my husband and our pup. I’m hoping to lose 20 pounds by March, but mostly, I just want to feel strong, healthy, and happy again. No one I know uses this app yet (although I’m trying to get my husband and some friends to) so I’d love to add anyone who’s interested in being friends! Wishing everyone love and support in their fitness journey!
~Cricket Rosemary

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    20lbs by March may be a bit of a tall order if that's all you have to lose.

This is a good reference guide:

jpdbjoz6yims.jpg
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Set a goal for today and kill it.
    Then, set a goal for the next day and win. Just look at it as one day at a time and you’ll rock it.

You can only do today.

It works!
  • Cricketchirps13
    Cricketchirps13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, both! I definitely need to work on making realistic, achievable goals, and completing them.
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You got this! Take the little victories and they will add up to the large ones!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,421 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great resource to help with weight management and general fitness.

Twenty pounds in three months is pretty aggressive. As @tinkerbellang83 suggests, one percent of your weight per week is a good goal. Even if you only lose a half pound a week, in a year you'll have lost 26 pounds - more than your goal. Good thing you're starting now, because every day is a new start. If I had started a year before I did, I would have been done a year sooner.

We can do this!

If you're looking for friendly support, check out the "Lose One Pound a Week and Keep It Off." It's a supportive bunch.
  • Cricketchirps13
    Cricketchirps13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I guess I’m less worried about “losing” 20 pounds by March than I am about fitting into some of my old clothes by summer. If I can tone up and gain muscle weight while losing some of my squishy-ness, then I’m okay about not losing 20 pounds. I’m really hoping that by next winter, I’ll be able to fit back into my snow pants. Right now, they won’t stay snapped shut. They pop open when I sit down to put my boots on! 🤦🏻‍♀️ They used to be loose on me! I think after 25, my metabolism just took a dive.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience that when you put on a pair of pants (in my case nice thick wool pants) that haven't fit in a decade and they are actually a little loose, you'll do a little dance. And you'll make sure to keep up whatever you're doing.

Take it slow; you're in it for the long haul. Meteors burn bright, but don't last long.

My gains didn't start until closer to 30 when I no longer had a job that I did field work. The desk did me in. Metabolism is metabolism, for the most part. There are some changes as we age, but it's really all about.... the kitchen.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great resource to help with weight management and general fitness.

Twenty pounds in three months is pretty aggressive. As @tinkerbellang83 suggests, one percent of your weight per week is a good goal. Even if you only lose a half pound a week, in a year you'll have lost 26 pounds - more than your goal. Good thing you're starting now, because every day is a new start. If I had started a year before I did, I would have been done a year sooner.

We can do this!

If you're looking for friendly support, check out the "Lose One Pound a Week and Keep It Off." It's a supportive bunch.

It came up that MFP is currently "broken," and you aren't able to join the group on your own.

If you want to join, post a message here, and I'll make sure you get an invitation. Then you just have to accept the invitation. I hope they fix this issue soon.
  • its_elle_tee
    its_elle_tee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I’m new here too but in my 40s. Trust me, it only gets harder so my advice would be focus on good habits and routines that keep you at a weight and fitness level that feels good and is maintainable.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options

We can do this!

It came up that MFP is currently "broken," and you aren't able to join the group on your own.

If you want to join, post a message here, and I'll make sure you get an invitation. Then you just have to accept the invitation. I hope they fix this issue soon.

If it helps, someone who was having issues with one of the other groups found the Join button by entering a thread and scrolling to the top.